SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first Saab and my first problem. The check engine light came on just as my warrenty ran out. I asked the dealer how much to run a diagnostic an my car and he said $90. I know with older/domestic you can usually run tests yourself and get codes by connecting terminals with a wire. Is there anything similar that I can do myself? or am I stuck with the $90 bill?

G

·
My independent mechanic is usually willing to pull codes at no charge if he's not busy. If you're just getting the check engine light and no indicators on the SID i don't believe there is a way to pull the code without a Tech II. Its best to get this done by someone who specializes in saabs because the cheap/generic tech II clones are not nearly as verbose as the official ones. Generally speaking though i wouldn't mess with a check engine light indicator. Get it looked at as soon as you can. I also think your dealer is asking an unreasonable price for the diagnostic. The most i've ever seen a saab dealer charge is $90 per hour and plugging in a Tech II takes less than 5 minutes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts