SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the alternator in my mother's car and I've gotten the hard stuff out of the way - old one out, new one in place, but for some reason the replacement alternator won't fit in to the bottom 'bracket' (not the upper removable bracket)

Sorry for the poor quality picture. This is looking down in to where the alternator goes, and where the bottom alternator bolt slides through. The red arrow is where the bottom alternator bolt goes in

I measured everything with a digital meter. That thing that is circled is in the way. Without it, the alternator should be able to fit there. But it's in the way??? I tapped it with a hammer and an extension and it didn't budge, I'm fairly certain it's part of the structure

I'm confused? Am I missing something? And before anyone asks, I did compare the new alternator with the old one and it is the same size

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
The ear or lug on the alternator should slip into that gap. The fit might be pretty tight. The bolt goes through one side of the bracket, through the alternator lug, and then through the other part.

At least, that's how I assume it works. I assume there's a hole in that bit you have the arrow pointing to. That would be a standard way of mounting an alternator.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
They are often tight and you have to use some (hard to apply) elbow grease to get them in.

Did you measure the alternator to see if it is the same size? That's where I'd start (although hard to do once it's back in the car!)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty stumped. I measured the actual length of the portion (the ear / lug) that should slide in to the spot on (both) alternators and it was 56 mm

I measured the space that is in the picture. It is 56 mm with that yellowed circle part included, and 51 mm if you measure to the right of the circle to the other threaded hole all the way on the right. It's almost as if that yellowed circle should straight up not be there

How on earth does that fit????

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
The yellow circled thing is a steel sleeve that prevents the aluminum bracket from wearing out. It's pressed in there. If for some reason it pulled out of where it belongs you can press it back in with a C-Clamp. pounding on it probably won't work as well (or at all) due to the angle as well as making sure that it stays straight.

I can't remember how far out that sleeve is supposed to be since I've not done this for a while and haven't seen one of those brackets out of the car. Perhaps someone with one sitting on the shelf in their garage can comment.

But I'd try using a C-Clamp to press it back into where it belongs. Of course that begs the question of how it got out of there in the first place!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The yellow circled thing is a steel sleeve that prevents the aluminum bracket from wearing out. It's pressed in there. If for some reason it pulled out of where it belongs you can press it back in with a C-Clamp. pounding on it probably won't work as well (or at all) due to the angle as well as making sure that it stays straight.

I can't remember how far out that sleeve is supposed to be since I've not done this for a while and haven't seen one of those brackets out of the car. Perhaps someone with one sitting on the shelf in their garage can comment.

But I'd try using a C-Clamp to press it back into where it belongs. Of course that begs the question of how it got out of there in the first place!
I am confused as well considering the alternator came out 'relatively' easy. Bottom bolt came out in a flash and I definitely had to pry it out of the bracket, but I wasn't using the most efficient tools anyway.

I'll try and c clamp gently and see if it moves

Do you happen to know the part number for some reason?

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
I am confused as well considering the alternator came out 'relatively' easy. Bottom bolt came out in a flash and I definitely had to pry it out of the bracket, but I wasn't using the most efficient tools anyway.

I'll try and c clamp gently and see if it moves

Do you happen to know the part number for some reason?
This is the part, although the photo is taken at the wrong angle to see if that metal sleeve is sticking out.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Any chance you put the bolt in there and "missed" the alternator and turned it in a few turns and the bolt head pushed that sleeve into the opening?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Saab recommends to tap the bushing back before fitting a new generator.
The sleeve should move inside the bracket and when you torque the screw it will directly hit the alternator.
So before installing a new generator you have to reset the sleeve to make installation easier/possible.
It should be possible to move it with some pliers if you can reach for it. Maybe some rust remover will help.
The sleeve is slotted, most probably it should not fit that tight in the bracket.

·
Registered
9,281 Posts
Thaistatos is absolutely right. Every time I've messed with the alternator on a Saab with that lower bracket, I've had to squeeze the bushing out on both the upper and lower brackets. I use a pair of slip joint (Channellock) pliers, and they've always worked great. It's far easier on the upper bracket since you can take the bracket out of the car very easily and see what you're doing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If it is hard to reach with a plier you might be able to put in some wood block and then adjust the bushing by pushing a screwdriver in the remaining gap and turn it a little bit.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hunterstein555,

iirc there are some minor physical size differences in the older 130 amp alternators (and their brackets) used on the earliest 95 models, compared to the newer 140 amp alternators for the later model 95's (i think this changed around yr 2000 approx ?). i suspect you already know this, but i cant see in your post an indication of the manufacturing year of the car you are working on

from having to replace my 140 amp alternator several times a few months ago (2004 model 95), my sugestion would be:
  • leave the mounting bracket in place
  • the trick for me in fitting the new alternator back on the bracket was to focus on getting the lower bolt in place.
  • once this lower alternator bolt is slightly threaded into its bracket attachment (even with the upper part of the alternator still out of the bracket and tilted towards the firewall), you can then finger tighten this lower bolt further ( making sure the alternator is alighted correctly). the upper part of the alternator and its upper bolt attachment point can be approx 30 or 40 degrees "out" (eg it is tilted towards the firewall)
  • you can then simply pivot the upper part of the alternator forward on this lower bolt (towards the front of the car) and it will slot perfectly into place into the rest of the bracket, allowing you to then slide the upper bolt into its thread
if you have left the bracket attached to the engine body, this "pivoting the alternator forward on the lower bolt" should be a smooth an easy movement that slots it perfectly in place. at no point should you have to use major force . if those 2 elements dont fit you might have a mismatch of a 130 amp bracket and a 140 amp alternator. removing the bracket completely would then be needed to see if they match. iirc you can fit the newer 140A brackets on the older engines, and still use the newer 140A alternators.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The alternator that I took out was a 140 amp alternator and the one I am putting in is also a 140 amp, so I assume the modifications have been done. The car is an '04

I am confused as to what bushing you guys are describing. That steel sleeve, is that the bushing? If so, I think @unclemiltie is correct, I did indeed thread the bottom bolt in a little without the alternator at one point (don't ask why) and I believe I pushed it out, if that's possible. It did not occur to me that that thing was possible to move.

What do you guys mean when you say you tried to 'push the bushing out'? Do you mean push it in? Surely that steel sleeve/bushing has to stay in the bracket?

I am going to try a c clamp and pb blast to reel it back in and see where we stand! Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
148 Posts
pushing it out --> pushing it to the outer side of the car or the bracket.
There should be only one correct direction to increase the installation space for the alternator.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what I figured

I used some vise grips and I think I pushed it back in a little bit. I felt something. Not sure if it was my vise grip breaking. Still couldn't really fit the alternator in so I shaved down the edges with a dremel and it went in. Car's up and working. Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts