SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 9-3 2.8 T (70K miles)

I would like to get my batmobile a tune up but from everything i am reading, i am getting confused. It seems replacing the plugs and air filter is not the only stuff i should be doing. I live outside of Milwaukee, WI and we really dont have a SAAB dealer i want to go to. Can someone please give me a break down on what i should have done. Money is really not an issue but i dont want to drive 500 miles to have someone do it.

Also, what is the best oil i should using? I have one coming up and i dont want to use crap.

Thanks to everyone in advance for your help!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
For performance improvements, the general feedback is that a remap is the best option - Vtuner, Maptun, JWZ, etc.

They will also be able to advise on what filter/plug combination to use with their remap.

As for the oil, you should use a full synthetic that conforms to GM-LL-A-025/Dexos2 (http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-714-ll-a-025.aspx). General feedback indicates that the Mobil 1 0w40 is the one to go for ;ol;

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
a tune up shouldnt be that confusing. I usually just do oil and plugs. But im high in the mileage so im replacing a few parts as i go. But usually oil and plugs.
as long as the oil is full synthetic you're fine. 5w-30 or 0w-40.
Change the plugs. Air filter if you want too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys...I get on here and i see 300 things i can do but i needed to know what i should do...

Oil, Plugs and Air...10-4

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Thanks guys...I get on here and i see 300 things i can do but i needed to know what i should do...

Oil, Plugs and Air...10-4
manual or auto?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
for autos i think a tranny flush or fluid change is due every 60k...spark plugs cabin air filter, oil and filter, blow intake filter out with a hose...lol...simple stuff

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
How long have you had it? What's the service history? Auto or manual.

That link is a bit generic and might be for Euro spec'd cars. US cars don't have fuel filters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have had it since feb this year and no service record. I have 6 speed manual and i did have the tranny flushed. I did see on these boards to use redline fluid to put back in. I did and it runs a lot better so i deff recommend Redline.

I value everyones input here so since i am putting in new plugs...Which plugs are the best? I dont care about price. i want the best plugs. So what are they for my saab.

I was thinking of cold air intake from BSR. Will cold air intake really give me anything other than putting in a normal air filter?

Thanks in advance...Eric

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have had it since feb this year and no service record. I have 6 speed manual and i did have the tranny flushed. I did see on these boards to use redline fluid to put back in. I did and it runs a lot better so i deff recommend Redline.

I value everyones input here so since i am putting in new plugs...Which plugs are the best? I dont care about price. i want the best plugs. So what are they for my saab.

I was thinking of cold air intake from BSR. Will cold air intake really give me anything other than putting in a normal air filter?

Thanks in advance...Eric
The CAI won't affect performance because the MAF sensor adjusts to the changes in air flow thru the intake. However when you let off the throttle you can hear the stock diverter valve much better and sounds pretty cool. A lot of people (myself as well) have also made their own for like 40 bucks and will do the exact same thing as the BSR. A friend of mine locally has one and we compared. No difference (besides the BSR coming with a heat shield). The sound is a tad different but you can also swap out the cone filters for that. There's a huge DIY thread on that, but i'd say its worth it.

As for plugs I use NGK's theyre pretty nice but im not sure if the bigT uses a different set than mine...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very interested in you DIY project...Its gonna be cold this weekend in Wisconsin so perfect timing...If you send what i need and how to do it...i would appreciate it. I am in no means a car guy. I design websites for a living but i would give it a shot!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How long have you had it? What's the service history? Auto or manual.

That link is a bit generic and might be for Euro spec'd cars. US cars don't have fuel filters.
I must be the only guy to own a SAAB with a Carfax that shows it coming off the boat in New Jersey and then 3 years later they replaced the battery. Thats all. I will try and be a better SAAB owner and have everything i have done reported to carfax. My wife cant drive stick so she said i have to keep it till i have 230,000 miles on it like the one i had in highschool. I figure i better start replacing stuff right now if thats gonna happen... :)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The CAI won't affect performance because the MAF sensor adjusts to the changes in air flow thru the intake. However when you let off the throttle you can hear the stock diverter valve much better and sounds pretty cool. A lot of people (myself as well) have also made their own for like 40 bucks and will do the exact same thing as the BSR. A friend of mine locally has one and we compared. No difference (besides the BSR coming with a heat shield). The sound is a tad different but you can also swap out the cone filters for that. There's a huge DIY thread on that, but i'd say its worth it.

As for plugs I use NGK's theyre pretty nice but im not sure if the bigT uses a different set than mine...
He has a V6 aero. I've noticed some very negative effects on my car after using an open intake. the car apparently ran so rich that the plugs got fouled and i was getting misfires. Cleaned the plugs and put in the original airbox and everything worked fine.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Saabnet list looked good with the exception of the auto trans. Flush should be 60K. Same as manual. Some just drain and fill their auto every 20K, which is what I will be doing now. Not sure about the 2.8T but the 2.0T takes 3.8qts. There is no filter, so just unscrew drain plug, drain, reinstall plug, fill with 3.8qts ATF. I think the process is same for 2.8T but fluid qty is different.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I did find a link to the Aero CAI DIY.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180272

However what I didn't find was bad reports after putting one on. Do you have links to someone stating it is a common problem? I looked and all I could find were people that had wire problems or bad plugs, or they had non turbo 900's and it bogged the engine down...

BSR still sells the kit for like 200 ballpark, and you can make one easier that getting out your card and buying and waiting for it to ship, there are less parts involved (cheaper than mine, which was 40) and you don't even have to cut anything which makes it totally reversible, which is cool. And if you're worried about sucking hot air thru the engine bay, buy a 90 degree pipe and run it down out of the engine bay thru that whole and you have a true CAI.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
At the VERY LEAST it would cost like 30 bucks for a good filter (doesnt matter but the sounds are different) and 5 bucks for a straight chrome adaptor pipe at Autozone or whatever. If it doesn't work right, take it off, return it and put your stock airbox back on on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts