SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed on my 1997 Saab 900 SE Turbo when it is started in a morning, there seems to be a bit of white smoke small amount of wetness in exhaust, worse on cold mornings. The car has been stood for a good bit until i have bought it got it tested and sorted out. There is no sign of water in any cylinder & all the plugs look the same. No overheating or bubbles in the expansion tank or need to top up the tank, in fact you can take the cap off when at temp without it throwing water out . Do other members cars do the same, the car has not done many miles since i have repaired everything else and got it tested. Would other members advice to torque the head down again or do you think it is normal. It does not get any worse if you rev it. Cheers bash
PS did the bulk head welding myself in the end

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
bash said:
I have noticed on my 1997 Saab 900 SE Turbo when it is started in a morning, there seems to be a bit of white smoke small amount of wetness in exhaust, worse on cold mornings. The car has been stood for a good bit until i have bought it got it tested and sorted out. There is no sign of water in any cylinder & all the plugs look the same. No overheating or bubbles in the expansion tank or need to top up the tank, in fact you can take the cap off when at temp without it throwing water out . Do other members cars do the same, the car has not done many miles since i have repaired everything else and got it tested. Would other members advice to torque the head down again or do you think it is normal. It does not get any worse if you rev it. Cheers bash
PS did the bulk head welding myself in the end
Don't be paranoid! if the weather is cold it's normal to see small puffs of light white smoke. If it's a thick plume of white smoke then yes you may have a turbo or head gasket problem.

Did you have any pics taken of the bulkhead repair? How easy was it to do?

By the way never ever EVER retighten the same head bolts bolts twice you risk snapping one or more :nono;

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry i did not take pictures of the repair, The biggest headache was that it had split down the seam line's not where the brackets are and at the bottom. So i had to make my own plate up by stretching and reducing a 3/4" flange around it, because i don't like welding lots of patches here & there. I managed to make one plate then seam welded it in . The side where the column fits thru was OK & i thought it was that side that always went. Plus all the hassle of taking of the rack and sound deadening material out inside & out. I will say there still is a fair amount of movement when the steering is turned, i will have to invest in a brace kit.

I think i am getting neurotic after all my troubles with both cars. The first car the 97 Turbo before the Turbo seals went that just looked like condensation coming from the exhaust every morning, then it just got worse . Then this one the 96 Turbo when i saw the steam coming out i thought no not again but i have noticed certain cars do produce a lot of steam in the morning Volvo's more than any others i have seen. But i don't know if this is something Saab's tend to do. Cheers bash

1 - 3 of 3 Posts