SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks

here is a strange one.

Noticed what appears to be condensation on the top of the coolant bottle. They appear to be tiny clear water vapours clinging on the top of the coolant bottle.

Coolant itself appears fine, nothing white floating in the coolant.

With the engine OFF and warm, if you open the cap and wipe off the vapours instantly, they reappear instantly. Checking on my fingers, there is no residue - just looks like water. Remember, engine off so could it exhaust gas causing them to reappear?

Overnight, the vapours turn into larger water bubbles hang off the top of the bottle.

Temp itself sits just a tad under half (do you know what that would represent in degrees assuming some accuracy with the gauge?) I have an 82 degree stat with an 87 fan switch (fan seems to run alot - doesnt seem to bring the temp down alot, more like it keeps the temp from increasing - I really think the single fan on this struggles to bring down the temp beyond just under half).

Checked the spark plugs - all appear the same

Anyway, is it the dreaded HG? What have others experienced in their coolant bottles when the HGs go?

Forgot, its a 2.1 NA.

Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I've often seen this in my Saabs. More evident in cold weather. I would say it's normal condensation which I think you may expect with warm water inside a cold bottle. With failing HG you are going to see vapour/steam out of exhaust and bubbles in your coolant reservoir, with or without condensation. The condensation normally disappears when bottle warms up.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
See it all the time here in WA, nothing to worry about. Folks that have had the recent frigid weather in FL and that would probably see it. Remember, your coolant tank is not only pressurized, but it will be close to engine temp, and plastic transfers heat much more quickly than any of the other parts it is attached to. Condensation in this closed environment is similar to a hothouse when the outside temperature is much lower. All the glass on the inside will condense moisture due to the much lower temperature.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
It is normal. In fact in one of my Saab owner's manual, can't remember if 900 or 9000, in the colour picture of the engine on one page, you can see the condensation in the coolant tank :lol:

It is normal since of course, that thing is filled with hot water ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts