SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

When I went and test drove 2 9-2x Aero 5-spds recently, neither was "prepped". The AC and radio wasn't working, the check engine light was flashing the whole time....

During the test drives, I could floor it and feel pretty much no power. Boost wasn't coming on. I heard no turbo whistle.

Is this because they didn't have a fuse plugged in? I'm thinking maybe it's the boost control solenoid fuse or something or this nature? Is this normal.

It's really got me concerned over the power. I drive a 95 volvo 850 turbo (222 HP 220 torque) and want to make sure I am solidly moving up in power :D

Would anyone on here not consider the 9-2x a very satisfying performer?

Oh, and on a side note, I found the handling, chassis, steering, and braking inspiring. I tossed the car into a sharp left turn doing 45-50 and could sense the car was near it's limit (16" re92 wheels and tires). But, I could also feel the awd and, specifically, the rear wheel portion of the drivetrain....it felt great!

I could turn the wheel quickly left and right the whole car would aim exactly where I pointed it, with little effort, and tremendous feedback.

And I slammed on the brakes twice from 40mph (not enough to engage abs, but on the edge) and it was a perfect stop...no funny business, no modulation needed.

I can't wait to get this car. Just concerned about the total lack of any power in the test drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't redlining it, but I was able to take it up above 6000...

You need to test drive a car before you buy it...but I don't want to beat the crap out of someone else's car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If the CEL was flashing this probably means that the car was counting misfires. I bet they put cheap gas in it. These cars require high-octane (93 here in TX).

I would have asked to drive a different car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I test drove 2 manual aeros that were in the same condition...the 3rd one on the lot was already sold.

Yeah....could be cheap gas....I definitely felt timing being pulled or a fuel cutoff....it felt jerky. Didn't like it, definitely knew it wasn't how it should be feeling.

Thanks gents...

So, do you find your power satisfying on long windy roads?

·
Registered
35 Posts
joefrompa said:
So, do you find your power satisfying on long windy roads?
ummm, as long as your in the power band i.e.~3K and up. Below that and I'm scared to pull out into traffic due to the slow build up in boost.

I've GOT to do something about that...

kutch

·
Registered
88 Posts
kutch said:
ummm, as long as your in the power band i.e.~3K and up. Below that and I'm scared to pull out into traffic due to the slow build up in boost.

I've GOT to do something about that...

kutch
Accessport :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you aren't up past 2700 RPMs you'll have boggy pull. Once your up in the 3ks its pretty peppy, for me at least. And now that my AccessPORT flashed ECU is 'educated' (on stage1 91 oct) I would say that peppy is no longer an accurate description of how my car performs :)
Still, even though the AP has improved responce in low RPMs you REALLY notice it once past 2500rpm and frankly I find myself in the 4000-5000 rpms a lot more than before and with out even noticing it. I loved this car before I got the AP and now its just awesome.

·
Registered
35 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong....

I'm looking for a ECU flash/ program/whatever....that will:
1. Have a valet mode.:nono;

2. Have an economy mode.:roll: Back and forth to work stuff...

3. Have a GET OUTTA MY WAY mode, -something you "really" will notice in the seat of your pants... :cheesy: Gotta' be at least 30-40 ft/lbs increase in torque at a lower than 3K RPM...

4. Untracable.;)

5. Easy of use.:cool:

6. Good customer support/ reliable.

Tell me, who fits the bill?

-kutch

·
Registered
88 Posts
kutch said:
I'm looking for a ECU flash/ program/whatever....that will:
1. Have a valet mode.:nono;

2. Have an economy mode.:roll: Back and forth to work stuff...

3. Have a GET OUTTA MY WAY mode, -something you "really" will notice in the seat of your pants... :cheesy: Gotta' be at least 30-40 ft/lbs increase in torque at a lower than 3K RPM...

4. Untracable.;)

5. Easy of use.:cool:

6. Good customer support/ reliable.

Tell me, who fits the bill?

-kutch
The Cobb Accessport fits MOST of the things you mentioned.
I installed mine last week and noticed a good difference with the stage 1 91 octane map, lots more "pull' also more "grunt" down low, they claim 35 hp and around the same tq. I also messed around with the "valet" mode, it wouldnt rev past 3800 rpm, also played with the "economy" mode seemed to run a little smoother, didnt drive it long enough to know if fuel economy is affected.

So to review..

Valet mode: Yes
Economy mode: Yes
Get outta my way mode: Maybe stage 1 could be about enough
Untracable: They claim if you "uninstall" it, its untracable
Ease of use: Yes very easy...10 minute install, then only seconds to change modes
Support: I didnt need any, but have heard good things about thier support.

Cheers,

·
Registered
86 Posts
As Carol Shelby said (I think it was him), "If you have turbo lag, you're not driving it right."

I've got a bigger than stock turbo on my WRX making 291hp at the wheels. Needless to say, it's a little more "laggy" than stock. But if you really need the power it's always there with a downshift or proper launch.

If you want your car to feel like a 230hp n/a V6, you bought the wrong car. Learn how to drive a turbo car and it won't disappoint you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems like the answer to any power problems I may have is buy accessport and do a stage 1 map, and keep the revs between 3000-6000 for satisfaction.

I gotta say, if accessport stage 1 is only $600...that's a damn steal if it provides solid gains throughout the entire powerband.

Of course, stage 2 is a little overpriced in my opinion (I have always felt exhaust systems were ridiculously expensive for what they are, compared to something like cams, or even a port and polished head...compare the prices of a turboback exhaust to a ported head).

That being said, I like the fact that 2-3 years down the line I can upgrade the exhaust system, change the maps, and be rewarded with a serious surge in power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts