SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( This morning my CSE started running a little lumpy on start up.
Then the ACC refused to switch from off to AUTO of ECON, the fuel gauage did not read any movement, the display of mpg etc did not light. I drove for about 20 miles and when I slowed down to about 5 mph the display would quickly flash on then off. After about another 5 miles the symptoms disapeared and all functions were resumed.

I had no problems when starting up to drive home, except for a blown brake light bulb. When I arrived home after about 78 miles and left the car for about an hour, on restarting the same symptoms occurred as this morning.
Help what is going on.

This happened about 4 months ago, for 1 occasion but nothing since, although that time all headlight biulbs blew.

Is this an alternator undercharging/overcharging problem

All help glady received

Chris.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I agree it is likely a bad connection. But I had a real experience with my 94cde.

My 94cs was wrecked. It has three keys. My 94cde has only one. So I used the signal stalk/ignition assembly from the wrecked 94cs to replace the one on the 94cde as the first part of the process of switching locks between the two cars.

It developed the same symptom after I switched the signal/ignition assembly. Further diagnosis revealed the one of the two connectors (probably both I don't remember now) on the left hand side (the cruise control/signal stalk, US spec) became loose. So that was a simple fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the ongoing scenario is a follows

Started her up this morning and had same problems , running rough, hunting , idling fast then slow. Display died ACC would not switch from off to Auto or Econ.
Drove 80 miles to work as normal. Display would show for a second on braking. So I am thinking loose connection.
Read Haynes manual at work to try and diagnose problem no real help except pointer to alternator and voltage regulator.
Started her up to come home drove 70 miles no display, coming down hill display comes back, acc starts up, Sweet sickly smell. Blame diesel in front.
Get home 10 miles later up with the bonnet and see smoke/steam from side of battery/ecu, bubbling sound heard and that smell.

It appears that the battery is boiling the acid. Reckon getting overcharged display did show 16.1 volts charging when I had display

Looks like a new alternator nad maybe a new battery - I only got that a couple of months ago.

Watch this space.

Chris:(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
new alternator sorted it out and emptied my pocket of over £200.00 from a dealership. If had time would have gone to an autoelectrician.:cry:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts