SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
175 - 175 - 167 - 175
OK for 148K miles, and the platinum tipped plugs are good with very little black on the plug body and a grayish white on the electrodes.
And everything is so clean at the plugs holes and under the cover - almost as new.
So, we will now apply some silicone to the connections and anti-seize to the threads.
One easy job, even using the good quality tools in the "boot"..
I usually use air tools
Now to find the leads to the front belt retractors - the SRS lite still glows...

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Earthworm, you would definitely know the correct compression checking procedure - I've had disagreements with my friends over the best way, perhaps you can offer advice :D

I have heard that you should have ALL FOUR plugs removed

Engine WARM

Crank for 5-10 Seconds

Is this correct? People have disagreed with me on all of these.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JM, you are 100% correct, everyone I have ever known of , pulls the plugs, all of them, making the job easier and faster.
I turn over the engine for about 5 seconds, and the throttle should also be open.. I have tried it both ways, makes little difference..
BTW, I did this one cold, it should be done warm, but not too, particularly in the summertime;oops: ...lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
The way it was explained to me by a mechanic friend, you pull all the plugs so that if you have cylinder to cylinder leaking from the gasket, you don't hold compression in the cylinder next to you.

I am not sure how much of a difference it would make, but that's what I have been told.

In my Nissan, if you do anything that involves cranking the engine w/o starting the car, you are supposed to pull the fuse that disables the fuel pump, crank the car a few times over, (till it fails to start - will drain the fuel lines enough not to cause problems) and then do whatever you want.

Journey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts