SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Compression test seems good. I was on my own so I couldnt judge how quickly the pressure was building up.. but 1 and 3 were low on the first test so I redone them giving a little longer to get all 4 within a few psi.
Could this slow pressure build up indicate a worn camshaft/or something like timing needs adjustment?

Plugs seem good. The old ones were set at 44thou (1.1mm?) but from the manual I decided to try 38though (0.96mm), then I discover the DI cartrige says *only* use 1.0mm gap... But I lef them.. any idea what is best..?
The threads were oily however this stopped before the end of the thread, so I assume this is oil from outside the engine, maybe from the DI. Insulators were a very light grey, a light brown, and two with a darker grey/brown and a bit of deposit.
They all seem to have a grove on both sides of the gap, I didnt notice this on the new plugs, same model... so I guess this is wear from the spark my last car didnt get much milage so they always looked new..

DI, the rubber rings at the bottom have started to perish, and I think somewhere oil is leaking out of it..
Unplugging it seems to have reset my check engine light, which was giving 4 flashes..

·
Registered
292 Posts
To check compression, with the car running at operating temperature, pull the fuel pump fuse and let the car die and do the check with the fuse removed. Remove the connector from the DI or it may fry. Hold the throttle wide open as you crank the engine. Pressure should build evenly and quickly to max.

The absolute pressures you show look good, they should be within 10% high/low in a good motor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts