SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
I am having a hard time starting my 1999 93 Turbo.
I was thinking of performing a compression check.
Could you tell me if taking the time to perform the test and purchasing a good compression device would have any usefulness in trying to diagnose valve problems ?
Any information will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Rick

·
Registered
980 Posts
A compression test is always a good place to start. I'm just a couple of towns away from you, in Groveland. I have a compression tester that I got a long time ago (like 30+ years) that you're welcome to borrow if you'd like. PM me if you're interested. The schrader valves on it are a bit sticky, but the last time I used it (maybe 5 yrs. ago), it still did the job. If you can get it to run, a vacuum gage (I got one of them, too), can also help diagnose valve issues.

·
Registered
707 Posts
While a compression check is useful as a first step, a cylinder leakdown test tells you more about the condition of the combustion chamber, valves and rings, if you have a cylinder that comes up low on a compression test.

A competent shop should be willing to do this for you at minimal cost...but if you are intent on doing it yourself you can buy the quipment to do it fairly easily (you need an air compressor, however)

A hard starting 99 9-3 could also be:
Bad or misgapped Plugs
Failing DI cassette
Clogged/old fuel filter

I'd start with the above three, then get a compression check.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have found quite a few of the t5 cars (mostly 99) that have long starting from adaption problems in the ECU. Mostly after running for long limes in hot weather on low octane fuel.

You can reset trionic a few ways but the simplest is with the key off open the fusebox in the end of the dash and pull fuse 28 for the ecm. Otherwise you can remove the negative battery connection. This should help it.

I purchased a used 99 base 9-3 one time and had long cranking times, replaced part of the fuel pump, the ejector assy. Helped a bit but not totally. Out of the blue I reset the ecu and bam from then on it was perfectly starting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts