SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I posted a question about the interest in a guide for the SPG panel kit, and had a lot of interest by Saabcertal people. I finally got around to finsihing it up yesterday, and it's all ready to go. As far as I know, it's the first of it's kind, and should be of help to those in the dark with a shed full of panels, or those who are just curious.

When the original document file (.doc) was converted to .html with MsWord, the quality of the photos dropped for some reason, but everything should still be clear.

Please let me know if you find any errors or can think of anything else to add.

Enjoy!

http://www.datazap.net/sites/Svensk_exports_images/SPG_Install_Guide/Saab_SPG_Panel_Guide.html

Any of the site's admin can add it to the tech section if they see fit.

Happy SAABing,
-Rob

·
Registered
230 Posts
Rock star - this is great

Hey, great info here... only thing I've done differently in my years of probably installing/reinstalling/removing SPG panels on various cars is that I always put on the panel just in front of the long door panel BEFORE putting the door panel on. And I slide it in rather than pop it on. It's often a total ***** and a half.

Then it's pretty easy to slide the door panel in. It's ironically never occurred to me to pop it on instead. ha!

Also, great tip on replacing the foam weatherstripping. I'd never done that before... my current car could probably use it.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Rob that looks really terrific!

I can't believe the results, much better than the install I did on my blue car a few years back. Would love to add one to my vert, but no way I coudl find the two rear panels for a 4/door/2door/vert.

So the results are really good with that Duplicolour stuff, I tried to refinish bumpers before and the paint looked terrible! What store exactly did you buy it at? your writeup didn't say. It is a really good match for OEM bumper colour?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Wow, excellent Rob!

I remember fitting spg/aero kits to my first 2 c900's. I think it took me two afternoons for each car.

Now I've got a t16s (u.k spg) so no pain to go through. I can vouch, it's not fun but totally worth the time, very rewarding. It's nice to see somebody had the patience to do a write up at the same time!

Your new t16 looks awsome, I've been waiting for you to add the spg panels!

And at the same time I think you've convinced me to paint my recently aquired 16" cross spokes solid graphite without polished lip:

Your aeros look damn good :cool:

Kenny.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
have you got a bit of the mounting strip spare? can you please measure its dimensions so we can try and chase some down for those of us without it!

I notice youve got a nice end-on piccy of it, just needs the numbers adding!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fantastic write up RM. Pity I didn't have that help before doing mine 2 weeks ago! As you said doing the door panel is the easy part. I think I slipped up by not putting anti corrosion sealant in all the body holes! Oh well since the car is currently 15 years old and with rust in engine compartment that will not shorten its life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
:cheesy:
RM '86 SPG said:
Hi all,

I posted a question about the interest in a guide for the SPG panel kit, and had a lot of interest by Saabcertal people. I finally got around to finsihing it up yesterday, and it's all ready to go. As far as I know, it's the first of it's kind, and should be of help to those in the dark with a shed full of panels, or those who are just curious.

When the original document file (.doc) was converted to .html with MsWord, the quality of the photos dropped for some reason, but everything should still be clear.

Enjoy!

http://www.datazap.net/sites/Svensk_exports_images/SPG_Install_Guide/Saab_SPG_Panel_Guide.html

Happy SAABing,
-Rob
Excellent piece of work! I will now know what to do with my SPG panels when they arrive....:cheesy:

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
RM '86 SPG said:
Hi all,

Enjoy!

Happy SAABing,
-Rob

That's excellent Rob! I have a Heuschmid body kit for a 4-door sedan C900 in my shed that's never been used (all the plastic parts are still unpainted black), but I don't have any mounting hardware, so your guide will be really helpful.

I'm not sure if the same mounting hardware as used for the SPG/Aero body kits can be used with Johann's body kits, but it's definitely worth investigating.

Craig.

PS. I sent your 'turbo 16' badge off during last week so it should be only a few days away from arriving.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can these kits be installed on a 2 door sedan? If so, how much modifying, if any would be needed?

Thanks!

EDIT : Guess if I read the guide a tiny bit I'd find:

NOTE: On a C900 convertible and 2 door sedan, all panels will fit properly EXCEPT the rear bumper extension panels. The 3 door hatchback SPG rear bumper extensions panels will not fit on a convertible or 2 door sedan. They are of a significantly different length among other differences. All other panels from a 3dr will fit.

So the rear bumper extensions wont work...is there anything I would be able to do to them or something else to buy that would match the rest?

And oops, I didnt mean to post this directly on this board, I meant to post it on the new topic asking about this. My mistake!

·
Registered
186 Posts
something I noticed when installing the spg kit on my 1992 900 S .... If your car has front mudflaps, you will not need to drill into the front wheel well for the "Panel A" installation!

The holes for the mudflap screws are EXACTLY the same as where the spg panel A attaches. :D

·
Registered
888 Posts
something I noticed when installing the spg kit on my 1992 900 S .... If your car has front mudflaps, you will not need to drill into the front wheel well for the "Panel A" installation!

The holes for the mudflap screws are EXACTLY the same as where the spg panel A attaches. :D
HMMM...did the original spg have mudflaps?

·
Banned
3,949 Posts
Yup,

Good one Rob, I actually had your website on favorite lock for about 9 months now, I have all my panels and have been collecting the hardware for the complete install after paint. Glad to see you still host the site:cheesy:.
Your site and twinsaabs.com has been the most comprehensive thorough DIY Saab sites have seen thus far..!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup,

Good one Rob, I actually had your website on favorite lock for about 9 months now, I have all my panels and have been collecting the hardware for the complete install after paint. Glad to see you still host the site:cheesy:.
Your site and twinsaabs.com has been the most comprehensive thorough DIY Saab sites have seen thus far..!
Haha thanks, don't worry, the page isn't going anywhere!
I'm glad to see it's going to good use!

-Rob

·
Registered
888 Posts
Great write up Rob, I am planning a complete install this fall. Just won a complete set on eBay this week...hoping it's a good one. Only parts missing are the plastic grommets for the rail screws. Hopefully I can still order them from Saab. I will follow up when I get things ready to install.

·
Banned
3,949 Posts
Approximately how aerosol cans would it take to refinish the tupperware and bumpers?

My guess would be 3 per side is a good start. That should give ya about 2-3 good coats; just a guess though. I would sand in between coats to get a good stick, and then clear.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts