SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my 1999 9-3 detailed today. I noticed that when I inserted the key into the ignition it didn't slip right in. I figured that some of the cleaning fluids probably got into the ignition. I didn't think much about it. When I got back to my office and tried to lock the car using the keyless fob, nothing. I then thought maybe the battery died, but it worked fine this morning.

I returned to the detailing place and they couldn't explain the problem. They said the battery probably needed to be replaced. Well, I drove home and tried the 2nd fob....nothing. So I called our Saab repair shop and in describing what happened, they said that the receiver ring for the keyless is right in the ignition area and the cleaning fluid may have caused a short or a reset. They said to bring it in with both fobs for reprogramming. Then I called the detailing place to let them know that while they did a great detailing job, they apparently/accidentally damaged my keyless system and that I would expect them to pick up the $30 cost. (The owner is calling me back...)

Can anyone else confirm with a similar situation? It is Friday night and the repair won't happen until Monday or Tuesday.

TIA - Rho

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Has the ignition key lock ever been lubricated ? Just a drop of graphite oil now and again..Don't trust the dealer to do this, even for the $800 !

Have the remote batteries ever been checked ? Renew every 3 years or so, or when the car's battery is changed..

Maybe the detailers did something, but I find this hard to explain..
BTW,the two remote unit batteries should be of different ages to prevent both going at the same time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great suggestion about different ages for the remote batteries. Here's an update. The 9-3's alarm just went off. The car was parked in our garage next to our 9-5 wagon. The garage door was down and locked. We never lock our cars in the garage. And now...after waking up the neighborhood...the remote unit worked. That is, the only way we got the alarm to shut off was by using the remote!

Our theory is that the detailers got fluid into the ignition... and until it evaporated the remote wouldn't work. It is only 10 pm, so we'll see if the car alarm goes off again!

...so much for getting to sleep early <sigh>

-Rho

1 - 3 of 3 Posts