SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Wanted to share my in-progress guide for converting the interior lighting of the c900 to LEDs. Link is above. I am constantly updating as I get new information, try new equipment, and find better ways to do this. Soon there will be an exterior LED conversion section. I've completed converting every bulb in my SPG to LED, except for 1 (battery charging). Everything else, I'm very happy with the performance of the LEDs. Read on, make suggestions, and let me know your experience, so we can share and learn together! It's a bit long, so consider this a follow-along guide, more than light reading =)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Questions:

1. Can you dim the dash down to the lowest stock levels?

2. The headlight bulbs you are using - do they focus as well as the stock bulbs? In other words, is the pattern as good as stock, but brighter?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can dim portions of the dash down, but not all of it to stock levels. I will need to convert the rheostat to PWM to do that. The main climate controls do dim. The radio and main cluster don't dim as much.

The headlight bulbs do focus well. But only certain LED headlights bulbs will allow for adjustment of the beam.

·
Registered
1987 900 5 speed 8 valve, 2006 9-3 Arc Convertible
9 Posts
I’m attempting the instrument cluster LED upgrade on my ‘87 900 8 valve.. Does the green and red light have to remain as I’ve read due to higher wattage? And how do you test all the lights to determine proper polarity. I turn the key to the run position but expect the low fuel light and a couple others may not come on initially. I am trying to avoid having to disassemble the dash once it’s back together. Do all the switches need to be installed while testing? I couldn’t get blinkers to work until I connected the hazard switch. Thanks in advance for the help.
PS-This started as an audio upgrade, then I decided to remove the dash since I acquired a dash that isn’t cracked, and while that was out I figured might as well do the lights since I’ll never likely take the dash out again.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
There is no single answer there... Each component works differently...

The battery/alternator light cannot be changed to LED or the alternator will not charge. You could install a resistor inline with an LED to beat that, but there could be some unwanted side effects.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
With indicators there are two options - keep standard relay and fit load resistors to the indicator circuits, or replace the flasher relay with one for LED lamps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts