SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm thinking about adding a 95 900SE Turbo Vert to the family, but I know next to nothing about them and their common issues. She has about 65,000miles, is a 5 speed, and the top is in great condition. There is a small crack in the leather on the driver seat. Of course, it has every option imaginable. The dealer is asking about $8400 for it.

I haven't driven it myself yet, I am doing so today, but yesterday someone drove it for me and apparently the low coolant light came on. When the car was turned off and started again the light never came back in, and when checking the coolant level it was fine.

There are no specific service records for the car (unless its written in the manual). I will do more research tonight. Anything specific I should ask?

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
There's a buyers guide kind of link in the FAQ section at the top of the forum that could help, and I'll offer that you should make sure the transmission and clutch work perfectly - they cause many problems on the early years.

Others can chime in, but 8500 sounds steep for a 10 yr old car, even a spiffy turbo-vert. Maybe I'm wrong tho, since I have neither :D

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
That is a little high for what's considered to be about the most unreliable year of the NG900. You should really look for a 1997 or 1998, since they fixed a lot of problems and upgraded a lot of parts by then.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The little crack in the leather reflects some neglect.

Leather is a high maintenance item, and should be cleaned and treated once a year..
The PO of the Honda cared for his car; he used a bra on the front of the car and sheepskin seat covers - much, much better than leather..And he was able to command an above average price...
In buying a pre-owned car, the professional man as the PO is a plus...

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Idler pulleys and serpentine belt
SID LCD display failures
Valve cover leaks (due to blown PCV valve)
DI cassette failures (hopefully replaced by now)
Vacuum lines cracking and causing problems
Fuel pump (expensive item, allow up to $900 for this)
Rear brakes
(usually only when driven in snow and road salt)
On a '95, if old style front suspension should have been replaced by now
(Saab sells a reasonably priced kit for that purpose, but labor tends to be high)

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
You've asked about common problems; one is that you can get quite attached to them...

Do some homework [locally] on that price and see if you can talk it down; if you like the car enough you'll pay whatever but if you find flaws [test drive it in several situations, urban, freeway and have some fun with the wibbly body on some twisty roads] then get negotiatin'

1 - 7 of 7 Posts