SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
anyone have any experience with cometic head gaskets? I emailed them and they make one for the ng 900. they are a little pricey at 110 bucks.How might they compare to the stock one. The other question I have is, if I could get my hands on some old style head bolts,would they be a good alternative to arp studs? http://www.cometic.com/

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
ok i am feeling very unimportant. this is the second question i have posted here,and not one response. maybe nobody has any knowledge of cometic,but i thought at least someone would have an opinion on headbolts.I have been learning from this site since 03. never had to ask any questions as they have been answered many many times by searching. sorry for being negative
Brian

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
Don't know about Cometic. Could not find a gasket for NG900/9-3 on your link. GenuineSaab sells the new style headbolts for 49.50 (they have an integrated washer). They also sell ARP studs for around $100.00. The ARP studs have superior strength, so I do not know why you are against them (except for price maybe?)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not that I am against them, its that I can get a set of old style bolts (used but good) for free. and cometic does make a hg for the ng 900 i emailed them and they replied with this
Brian,

Yes we make two different gaskets for that engine:

H2481SP1043PR for a 93mm bore

H2481SP2043PR for a 90mm bore

The gaskets are $109.20 each and you can buy them direct from us. Thanks,

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also ,abbott racing sells cometic on their site so I figured I would try to source them direct, and it worked. looks like a really good gasket to me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me reiterate on what I mean when I say ''old style head bolts''. these were before the stretch bolts were around. not sure when they stopped using them. maybe at the end of the old 900. but if these bolts dont stretch, and if their strong why not reuse them. this is kind of what I meant to say before. the arp bolts are 137 dollars and the old style bolts are free. this is what im looking for opinions about.

Brian

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
bluv said:
Let me reiterate on what I mean when I say ''old style head bolts''. these were before the stretch bolts were around. not sure when they stopped using them. maybe at the end of the old 900. but if these bolts dont stretch, and if their strong why not reuse them. this is kind of what I meant to say before. the arp bolts are 137 dollars and the old style bolts are free. this is what im looking for opinions about.

Brian
Not sure where you are going here. Head bolts are specifically designed to stretch. It is a desirable quality in this particular fastener. Read this.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Sorry I didn't post earlier, I also couldn't find the saab gasket.

My set up will include:

Saab Savior copper headgasket...

And the ARP studs. (Still to be sourced from Genuine).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
see post #4 for part# also check abbott racings website, they sell the cometic head gasket for the ng 900/9.3. I understand that headbolts do stretch a little. but I really think that your not understanding what I am saying(saaboheme).The new style headbolts have a weakened spot about 1 inch from the head,this from what im told is to prevent over tightening. Now the old bolts and when I say OLD I mean pre ng900, do not have that weakened spot.maybe I am wrong to assume this but I thought that the old style would be a better choice than the new style. I understand that they will not be equal to the arp studs.this is the question that I am trying to get opinions on.I appreciate the replys so far

Brian

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
cometic head gaskets require a mirror-finish on both the head and block. They eventually seal well, but my-oh-my, are they a pain in the **** to make that happen.

Just use a stocker and ARP's

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Don't you need a mega boost pressure and huge turbo on Saabs before a mega head gasket? Also, if it does want to go pop, then a standard one will pop before the head/piston/block.

Do you have enough shiny tackle on the motor to warrant a mega head gasket?

P.S I'm always negative. Call me Marvin :cheesy:

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
There are guys running 35-42psi of boost on stock head gasket and the "older style" stock saab head bolts with no issues. There were some newer saab head bolts they were having trouble with and that is what the guy was talking about.

Check the genuine saab site for information on which head bolts are ok to use, he list them under the tech library.

The cometic gasket would be good for lots of boost, but as stated, they can be a pain to get to seal as well as the copper head gasket, but once they are sealed, they hold up well...

I was going to get one for my ng900 with gt3076 pushing 500bhp, but with shipping it was going to be 250.00 bucks, too pricey for me;)

Since my tuner has put 42psi on his stock head gasket and I went over a year with 30+ psi of boost and the gasket still looked great, I stuck with stock head gasket, but did try the arp studs...

John

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
42 PSI?! :eek:

Oh, no, sorry, it's less when measured at altitude :D

[Only kidding JZW]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the replys. stock gasket it is! As for the bolts Im still thinking on that one. found this on saabnet http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/members/gallery.html?memberID=112&do=show&id=746
I do have a little Tackle on the engine,tdo4 16t 6cm, 3 inch downpipe, 2.5 inch stainless delivery pipe and 3 inch tbtc.all custom fabbed by myself.I think it cost (not including stainless mig wire=35 bucks) around 120 dollars to fab all three pieces. had it tuned at automotion sqr st4 and I dont know maybe paul says this to everyone he tunes but he said it was one of the faster stage 4s hes done. I am one of those guys that will research something for 6 months b4 I decide What to do. If I think I can make something I usually will try.

Brian

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
hunt.dogshome said:
42 PSI?! :eek:

Oh, no, sorry, it's less when measured at altitude :D

[Only kidding JZW]
My tuner is not up here with me:cry: The most I have seen on a -9F day was a 35psi spike.... I think at -20F, I am at sea-level air on a standard day at 70f and 29.92bp. I think, yea that is nice.... But think of the sea-level guy on that same -20F day:eek: He is a mile below sea-level... Now that is some dense air:p

John

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
bluv said:
Thanks everyone for the replys. stock gasket it is! As for the bolts Im still thinking on that one. found this on saabnet...
That is from Swedecar/Anders gallery on SN. He has a huge amount of experience as an independent Saab mechanic, including about the headbolts. However, in all fairness it should be pointed out that the change in headbolt torque by Saab did not coincide with the release of the headbolt with a washer. According to the dates of the Saab TSBs, it preceded the "new style" bolts. There is some additional information on headbolts on the Townsend Imports web site, if you want to dig for it.

I don't think I would put used headbolts from another unknown car into a stock engine, because of potential metal fatigue, which is not something you can tell by inspection. Into an engine that is being modded for higher horsepower, definitely not, even though I like cheap/used parts when I can get them... :D

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
JZW:- My parents live on the edge of the world in Wainfleet. You know, with the pirates, sea monsters and brown wrinkled paper. Their house is ~20ft below sea level.

I always feel the car pulls harder up the high street there :cheesy:

Bluv:- PMI says new bolts for tackled engine. Sounds good :cool:

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Yea, I wish I knew what sea-level air felt like... My buddy Ben had his car that would only boost 20psi on his gt28r no matter what he did and he went from Denver to sea-level and he gained 5psi and boosted 25psi at sea-level... Back to Denver and back to 20psi of boost... Dang thin air, it sucks.....

I agree, one part I always go for is new head bolts.... If they do not hold, you can blow out the head-gasket and that is not a fun job to do!

You can pay me now or you can pay me later.... Right;)

John

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok I am convinced. ARP it is. something about the design of the stock bolts that makes me uneasy. so there you have it thanks everyone. I will try to be a contributing member when possible.

Brian

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Did Paul actually tune it, or just plug it in and download a tune?
Does he know how to do this now?

What sort of power did you make?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts