SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is about my 2001 9-3 base with intermittent CEL at 64,000m, good fuel economy, and maybe, just maybe I detect a misfire occassionally:

I had the dealer read the codes - for 89 freaking dollars! Oh well, now I know the codes. 1312 and 1334 which they told me is a combustion detection fault in both groups of cylinders indicating DI internal fault. They suggested replacement of DI, spark plugs, and a recalibration of the ECU software ALL FOR THE AMAZING LOW PRICE OF $720!:( No thanks, Mr. Go:evil:dwrench.

Questions for you experienced Saabers:

Should I replace the DI? - my local independent has one for less than $400.

Should I put in platinum NGKs? I use NGK BKR6ES-11 plugs and replace at each oil change (anal, I know, but my first 4 cars were vintage VW bugs - plugs, points, condenser at each oil change!):cheesy:

Is there any possibility that the OEM plugs would make the codes go away?

Will the fault codes clear if I put in a new DI? If not, how do I clear the codes?

Finally, what's up with this recalibration of ECU software? I guess they're not talking about an internet download:roll:

As always, I look forward to the great advice from you'ns.
=jrc=

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
jrc127 said:
I believe the NGK's are the OEM plugs

As for the DI Cassette, I would shop around. Here they have two versions for your year, one costs $375, the other is $315.

Once the trouble that generated the code has been fixed, after a certain number of drive cycles (upwards of 20 I believe) that are fault free, the CEL should go out. Or you could disconnect the battery for a few hours to reset the ECU, or maybe you can even go to Autozone and have them reset it (if they can read them, I think they can reset them too). I'm not sure about the ECU recalibration, I know they do upgrade software for the units occasionally, but how much good it does, I don't know.

FYI: as stated above, when generic CEL's are being generated, Autozone should be able to read them absolutely free of charge. Better than forking out the bucks to the stealership!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Slaab4life.

The platnum NGK PFR6H-10 plugs were installed at the factory and I wondered if the BKRs I've been using could have caused the problem - probably not, though. thanks for the reference to the saabsite - I'm gonna check shipping all said and done it might only a few dollars more to buy from the local guy - too bad he's not open on Saturday or I'd replace it today. 12 hour vacation drive coming us soon so I better make the change. There's an Advance Auto up the street - I shoulda' asked them to read the codes...

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I think in the owner's manual, it has a list of acceptable plugs. They must be of a resistor type. Looking around www.eeuroparts.com, I noticed that the NGK part number you have in the car is not what they have suggested for your vehicle, that doesn't mean what you have in there isn't acceptable though. Also noticed they have the black DI cassette for $309, with free shipping (on all orders over $35). Since you are in PA you would either have it next day or two days with the free shipping. Might be worth looking into since its cheap and they are quite fast.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
jrc127 said:
This is about my 2001 9-3 base with intermittent CEL at 64,000m, good fuel economy, and maybe, just maybe I detect a misfire occasionally:

I had the dealer read the codes - for 89 freaking dollars! Oh well, now I know the codes. 1312 and 1334 which they told me is a combustion detection fault in both groups of cylinders indicating DI internal fault. They suggested replacement of DI, spark plugs, and a recalibration of the ECU software ALL FOR THE AMAZING LOW PRICE OF $720!:( No thanks, Mr. Go:evil:dwrench.

Questions for you experienced Saabers:

Should I replace the DI? - my local independent has one for less than $400.

Should I put in platinum NGKs? I use NGK BKR6ES-11 plugs and replace at each oil change (anal, I know, but my first 4 cars were vintage VW bugs - plugs, points, condenser at each oil change!):cheesy:

Will the fault codes clear if I put in a new DI? If not, how do I clear the codes?

Finally, what's up with this recalibration of ECU software? I guess they're not talking about an internet download:roll:

As always, I look forward to the great advice from you'ns.
=jrc=
I wonder how long it really takes the stealership to read the codes..
And I understand that AutoZone does it for free..
Has the world gone insane ???
The DI seems to have a life of 50 to 150K miles, NOT good QC in my book..
eEuroParts and others have this DI for around $350..
I also believe that the dealers stealing never stops, I know of no need to recalibrate or download anything...

The dealership should be able to to the diagnosis and change the DI within an hour , and drink his coffee.

Maybe I am wrong ....
But I believe these dealers should be reported..
I think I know of the Saab dealer in Lancaster county, PA - I am about 45 minutes away.....
DIY or pay the independent - stay as far away from the dealer as possible..

Spark plugs with the oil change ?? You must be kidding us !!:cheesy: :cheesy:
Oil is good for 2 to 8 K miles - debatable, YES !
But plugs, even two stroke plugs are good for 6 to 60 and more K miles..

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
aren't our plugs bcpr7es?

not bkr.....

my suggestion, get the cheap copper plugs and gap them correctly.(from the box, they're gapped to .44..you need .38)
go to advance auto and get a small tube of dilectric grease and smear it on the tips of the plug (DIC-side)

install, reset ECU and see what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Earthworm: If you've driven on PA 283 to Lancaster you can't miss the stealership. It's on my way to work and it was convenient as opposed to the the independent.

The NGK BKR6ES-11 plugs are list as the right plug for this engine on the NGK site. I've used them for about a year but the CEL only started two weeks ago. the BKRs are gapped correctly and I used the anti-seize on the threads.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Slaab4life said:
I'm not sure about the ECU recalibration, I know they do upgrade software for the units occasionally, but how much good it does, I don't know.
There is a software upgrade which is supposed to help prevent future DI cassette failures, or at least reduce them. I believe it applies only to black DI cassettes, and cars from model year 2000. My car is much older so I never bothered to find out, but perhaps someone else with a later model can post the details.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts