SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Color Differences in 9-5 Aero Engine (Cam Cover)

Hi fellow SAABers.

So I've been "semi-in-the-market" for a used 9-5 Aero(sedan or wagon) circa MY03 or MY04. I've mainly been perusing online for some decent deals at the usual US car buying/selling sites and have found a little odd discrepancy for which I couldn't find an explanation thru the forum searches.:confused:

Why does the color of the "engine block" area seem to have some variation between different 9-5 Aeros? Not sure what name of the specific location on the engine is(it's the part(s) that says "SAAB Ecopower"), but as you can see on the pics below that it's either a solid black color or a worn silverish color. Also, the variation does not seem to be MY specific. Ultimately my question is, for MY03 and MY04 9-5 Aeros is the factory engine color supposed to be a) black and in some cases the black paint faded over time or b) silver and someone painted the engine part black in a few cases?

9-5 Aero Engine(Black) MY03:

9-5 Aero Engine (Silver) MY03:(looks like this is also missng an "engine cover piece")

9-5 Aero Engine (Silver) MY04

Could the difference in color be an indicator of "normal wear and tear"?

Perhaps this has been discussed before in a prior thread, and if so forgive me for my poor search methodology - mainly I didn't know exactly what the part on the engine is called:confused: . But any insight on this topic would greatly be appreciated!

-Jitty

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cliche`! You're answer makes perfect sense & thanks for clarifying that the part in question was the "valve cover"! :)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
As has been mentioned, it's not the engine block, but just the cam cover.

However, there is an important significant difference as to why the MY04 ones are plain unpainted, other than GM penny pinching.

You can't swop the plain unpainted cam covers from MY04-on cars with the pre-MY04 painted ones, as they are very different because of the redesigned engine block/head/PCV system on the MY04-on engines.

Although we assume it's penny pinching, there may well be an additional reason of instant identification between the two types as an additional reason.

The unpainted covers do look horrid though as you can see from your photos that they go 'furry' from oxidisation pretty quickly.

That's why I had my cam cover powder coated....:cool:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
aeropilot said:
The unpainted covers do look horrid though as you can see from your photos that they go 'furry' from oxidisation pretty quickly.
Yep another major own goal for the "luxury car maker" :roll:

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Quite interesting I was wondering why my 03 was not painted and my 2000 was. But why not paint instead? ( maybe a different color as per the DI units. ( Especially as Chris said for a luxury car it loks kinda sh!tty)

Gonan polish or powdercoat mine when I get the time.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
hmmm I was wndering why my engine was so clean whenI bought the car... maybe its a replacement ( lucky for me!) I am going to check, maybe its a late 03 build...

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Ok I checked ( too curious for my own good) The car's build date is 11-02, makes it an EARLY 03. I looked at the head and there is an 02 stamped into it, but that does not mean that the head/cam covers came from this car.

I will check the engine # --- where is that BTW?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Jssaab said:
hmmm I was wndering why my engine was so clean whenI bought the car... maybe its a replacement ( lucky for me!) I am going to check, maybe its a late 03 build...
Well, it's pretty obvious if it's a MY03 or MY04 because of the restyled front end on the 04 Aero....;)

I suppose there is a remote possibilty that if it was right on the switch over from 03 to 04 with a build date around the late July/August time maybe they put a 04 spec engine in it.... but I wouldn't be sure of that though.:confused:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Oh well......I give up now:lol:

Never seen an unpainted MY03 cam cover over here......:confused:

I wonder if they are replacement engines, as the parts guy told me when I bought my 04 cam cover, that new pre-04 cam covers ordered through Saabparts would also be unpainted now (this was late 2004).....so maybe a Saab replacement engine (even an pre-04 type) would get a new unpainted cam cover...?

Really clutching at straws now, but just proves there's really no such thing as universal standard spec.....:lol:

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
aeropilot said:
Oh well......I give up now:lol:

Never seen an unpainted MY03 cam cover over here......:confused:

I wonder if they are replacement engines, as the parts guy told me when I bought my 04 cam cover, that new pre-04 cam covers ordered through Saabparts would also be unpainted now (this was late 2004).....so maybe a Saab replacement engine (even an pre-04 type) would get a new unpainted cam cover...?

Really clutching at straws now, but just proves there's really no such thing as universal standard spec.....:lol:
Could be my engine is sooo clean... but there is no info of any replacement from Saab but it coudl have been done outside saab service

·
Registered
800 Posts
my car has full saab service history with one prior owner and no mention of major engine work/replacement. seems to be no rhyme or reason for how the cam covers were painted. :roll: this may turn into one of those burning questions to harrass the parts/service guy about next time i pick up a drain plug. :lol:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Many thanks to those that chimed in so far!

I guess there's no simple and definitive answer yet to differences in the cam cover color, but from what I'm gathering, this seems to be mainly a cosmetic issue and not necessarily at all indicative of any variation in functionality.(?)

Anyway, probably not going to be very high on my criteria list of things to worry about when shopping for a 9-5...

-Jitty

1 - 16 of 16 Posts