SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking a while to color code the strip all around the car. Already did my handle and it completely changed the look of the car, no more cheap looking black handle.

Been debating on the strip , when to the junk yeard today and took a door strip to make some test. Painted and cleared and test fitted. I think it look good but also think the black make it stand out also.

What you all think, black or color coded? Dont mind the dirty car :cry:

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I like the color coded door personally, I love that look! Luckily for me my 9-3 is black so I got the same effect from the factory :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've been contemplating the same thing, although I still have my handles black. And bumpers and sideskirts too unfortunately. Have to do those one day

I sort of think that the colour-coded strips looks a bit...trying-too-much, it's like your wanting to hide something that can't be hidden. If it's black it's there and it's how it was designed "in those days" and there is a certain honesty about that. They almost annoy me more when colour-coded, they become some flimsy pieces of painted plastic that f's up the door panels...in a way...sort of...

I think any ways ;)

(Sort of BTW: I am also wondering about that lower bumper grille....could that look cool colourcoded? Anyone seen that on cars?)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
AutomotiveTouchup.com

Used exactly 4 aerosol cans ( got pretty luck at the end :eek:), cost 90.28 USD shipped, perfect match for paint code 279

Used on my front lip, door trim, e-codes and bumper trim. 2 primer coats, 4 base coats and 3 high-gloss clear coats.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been contemplating the same thing, although I still have my handles black. And bumpers and sideskirts too unfortunately. Have to do those one day

I sort of think that the colour-coded strips looks a bit...trying-too-much, it's like your wanting to hide something that can't be hidden. If it's black it's there and it's how it was designed "in those days" and there is a certain honesty about that. They almost annoy me more when colour-coded, they become some flimsy pieces of painted plastic that f's up the door panels...in a way...sort of...

I think any ways ;)

(Sort of BTW: I am also wondering about that lower bumper grille....could that look cool colourcoded? Anyone seen that on cars?)
I guess Saab realised that black handle were looking ''sort of'' old and cheapo since they started painting them in 06+.

The trim they do give a little bit of ''something'' , but unless its a saab enthousiasm normal people will never know they were black at first ;)

·
Registered
622 Posts
If you had a car without those little plastic strips you'd know why they're so important. People slam, especially coupes, slam their doors into yours non stop.. You'd be surprised at what that little piece of plastic can stop. As for color coding.. I don't like or hate the look but sometimes I see it and idk.. it throws me for a bit. I like my handles too because every car I had previously had color matched handles and they were always horribly etched from use.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Results came out perfect , should have done it way before :eek:. Only thing missing now is a new set of wheels , maybe maybe

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
now you just have to do your side mirrors.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ok, it's not ugly, I'll give you that much ;)

Seriously, nice ride all in all! Couple of questions:

What size rims and tires do you have? I have a set of 18" turbine rims that I'm not quite sure what size tyres to put on...

And what window wipers are those?

And GTurner: Do the side mirrors as in paint the black triangle-part silver too, I assume you mean?
I have the same mixed feeling on that one. The whole mirror-holder in silver messes with the "window-area/lines" and black as it is it sort of breaks that line from the top of the hood. Unless one can split it leaving the top part of the triangle black and the lover half extending out to the mirror in silver. A bit like on the new 9-5. That is one sexy mirror :)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I am embarassed to admit that I did not notice that my recent 2008 Aero SC purchase does not have the body side strips. My 2004 Aero does. When did they get dropped? The car looks cleaner, no dings so far, but yikes:eek:

My 2004 is Espresso Black so the black strips look lik ebody color in most light. On this Fusion Blue body they would have had to match the body, black would've looked ugly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My car is black anyway but handles are starting to turn white! time for a spray... how easy are they to remove?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i plan on doing this, but i have parking assistance in the back. How should i go about painting the back strip
I also have and when you get the back strip off the car to paint it, you will just remove the sensor from it. Then seperate the two part of the sensor and paint only the ''clipping part'' letting only the small black circle unpainted.

Seem complicated but youll understand quickly once you remove it and see it ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts