SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had my 2005 Saab 9-3 Arc for about 2 1/2 months now....so I'm still learning about Saab's and their quirks/characteristics.

It's F'n cold this morning, about 0 degress F here in Milwaukee land. I noticed on my way to work that whenever I drive over anything more than a medium sized bump in the road...it sounds like something is dragging on the ground. Sound like its coming from underneath the engine bay. I just picked my car up last night from being serviced (Concours Motors), so it was washed before I picked it up to take home (which eliminates any possible snow packs in the wheel wells, etc.).

Called the service manager and she said it could just be due to the cold weather, maybe the breaks were binding a little bit or the suspension was too cold and the car wasn't warm enough yet. She said if I keep hearing the noise next week when the weather gets warmer, to call back and they will look at my car then.

Any ideas? Similar experiences?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
759 Posts
ControlledSlide said:
I've only had my 2005 Saab 9-3 Arc for about 2 1/2 months now....so I'm still learning about Saab's and their quirks/characteristics.

It's F'n cold this morning, about 0 degress F here in Milwaukee land. I noticed on my way to work that whenever I drive over anything more than a medium sized bump in the road...it sounds like something is dragging on the ground. Sound like its coming from underneath the engine bay. I just picked my car up last night from being serviced (Concours Motors), so it was washed before I picked it up to take home (which eliminates any possible snow packs in the wheel wells, etc.).

Called the service manager and she said it could just be due to the cold weather, maybe the breaks were binding a little bit or the suspension was too cold and the car wasn't warm enough yet. She said if I keep hearing the noise next week when the weather gets warmer, to call back and they will look at my car then.

Any ideas? Similar experiences?

Thanks in advance.
Frozen water from the carwash on suspension parts comes to mind....if it was just washed by the dealer.

I bought my 1995 900S from Concours....many years and several states ago!

·
Registered
248 Posts
i've had this too and the other day i'm pretty sure i figured it out, it's just due to the cold and the car not warming up. i've noticed this happening in two places - the small dip in my driveway after coming out of the garage, and the speedbump at school. both of which occur very soon after the car has been started and not had time to really warm up (there's rarely a day where i am leaving the house with ANY time to spare, and when leaving school... well... i like getting out of there quickly ;))

i may be wrong, but i'm fairly confident that's the cause

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Strong ditto to the above 2 comments. And get used to some noises, especially when it is cold out as almost ALL cars make strange noises when it's cold.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yep, I'm afraid you are all suffering from the well documented cold weather suspension "graunch":cheesy:

Unfortunately there is no long lasting cure:eek:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Rubber hardens up severely when it gets cold from, say, sitting overnight. No amount of warming up the engine will effectively warm the suspension, the car just has to be driven for a little while.
And until you go some distance, it's going to groan and creak and just generally sound like a dying animal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts