SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few mornings my car has taken progressively longer, probably up to about 5 seconds today, to start. This past week it has been getting progressively colder each morning too. For the rest of the day, it seems to start up without much bother, even if it's been a few hours. My first guess was spark plugs, but that's really just a SWAG. Ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another cold day, another hard start. started it last night after not using it for 36 hours and it took two starts. the first time it sounded like it was trying to crank but never really got going. took the key out, put it back in, and it started within a second or two. it's like it just needs some encouragement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i put the key in the ignition, wait 1-2 seconds, then try turning it on. if its being a pain, i'll let it go for 5-7 seconds then stop. take the key out, give it a second, turn the key again and it'll start in a second or two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
are you turning the key to the on position? not the starting position, but the on position right before the ignition kicks in. that should allow the fuel pump to prime and possibly make starting a little easier.

it seems almost every year around this time we see a resurgence of "cold start" issues with some cars. if you do a search you might find some help in previous discussions as well. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
B~P said:
are you turning the key to the on position? not the starting position, but the on position right before the ignition kicks in. that should allow the fuel pump to prime and possibly make starting a little easier.

it seems almost every year around this time we see a resurgence of "cold start" issues with some cars. if you do a search you might find some help in previous discussions as well. ;)
how long should i let it sit in the ON position before turning it to START?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
B~P said:
i guess 4 sec or so. listen closely and you might even hear it.
I only wait like 1 second, should prime pretty fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright! update! so got in my car yesterday after having not driven it for at least 12 hours. it was a little warmer but not by much. put the key in and turned it to on. waited a good 5 seconds before turning it to start and bam! within 2-3 seconds it was on! thanks for the sweet advice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
This has plagued me all summer. No amount of prime time has fixed it, in fact I've never noticed a difference between priming and turning the key to start instantly. The only thing that semi-fixed it was switching to a different kind of gas. Shell V-power summer gas seems to upset my car in the morning, but it runs so well once going I've just put up with it.


Does anyone know when the switch back to winter gas happens in the North East?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Raven18940 said:
The only thing that semi-fixed it was switching to a different kind of gas. Shell V-power summer gas seems to upset my car in the morning, but it runs so well once going I've just put up with it
hrm, thats what I use as well. What did you switch to? The only other gas I'll use is Chevron super or premium
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
pdenton said:
hrm, thats what I use as well. What did you switch to? The only other gas I'll use is Chevron super or premium
I put in Exxon and BP for long road trips and the car started easier before. I never had this problem until they started putting ethanol in gas. I think they may have just switched to summer gas around here, but I'll tell you what happens when I start the car tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Every cold start I hear a ticking noise.. At first I thought it was the serpentine belt.. but that went out on me the other day.. Had it replaced.. still the ticking noise.


73k on the car.. So I'd like to say that its high mileage on the car.. but Im not used to 73k being high mileage.

I had an audi run stronger then ever up to 126,000 when I was T boned by some ******* with 10k insurance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
73K isn't even broken in. :roll: I'm at 103K and the engine just getting worn in. :p

Where is your ticking noise coming from? Cause there's something by the MAF that ticks normally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
gh

Raven18940 said:
73K isn't even broken in. :roll: I'm at 103K and the engine just getting worn in. :p

Where is your ticking noise coming from? Cause there's something by the MAF that ticks normally.
Know something weird.. Today I tried starting my car after just using it for the first time. HOW EMBARASSING. I was talking to this hottie right? Walk to my car.. Turn it over for like 6-7 seconds. Second time, same thing. Third time, 3 seconds and bam it started up and I peaced!
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top