SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is a 2006 9-3 Aero (Sportcombi).

Occasionally, after a cold start when the car is immediately driven reverse, there is no power assist for the brakes. This is a frequent problem with valets as it freaks them out and they think "the brakes went out!"

I suspect that his problem is not isolated to my car as my father has the exact same car and it happens with his as well, especially when parked on an incline.

Perillo Saab can't identify the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
It happened to me a while back. It's the brake booster valve most likely.

Another indication of Perillo's incompetence. Try another dealer in the Chicago area and it should be taken care of.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same problem with my 09 Aero V6 XWD, turned out to be a failed Electric Vacuum Pump (which provides the boost for brake assist after a cold start or at high altitudes).

My dealer also told me the condition was "normal" so I called the Customer Assistance number in my owners manual for help. They were very helpful, and willing to call multiple dealers at my request to get an opinion. Second dealer spoken to confirmed that it wasn't normal and should be addressed. Finally my local dealer (in parallel) got Saab Technical Assistance on the phone who confirmed the problem and tried some troubleshooting and isolated it to a bad pump (although no root cause on WHY the pump failed).

If you can't hear the pump running after a cold start, either your sensor or the pump or bad. If you hear it whir up, but have no power brake assist, then it's probably the valve as mentioned.

If you have any loss of braking after warming up though, you could have a vacuum leak or another issue with the brake booster itself.

Either way, you can call your dealer out on a potential safety issue (with customer services help - call them!)...no dealer should turn a customer away who has a problem with their brakes.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks for posting this. My 2006 9-3 aero auto does this about once every 2 months. Glad to know where to look (or to know what I am ignoring :) ).

Mine only does it ocassionally, and only on a cold start going into a reverse right hand turn.

Alarming more than anything, not actually that dangerous. It still stops fine, I just have to push harder.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It happened to me too last week for the first time.
But I already knew about this issue. It seems to be common on Saab.

I've read a security investigation on a website about it. They were pointing the issue and how to resolve it.

I got to find it again.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
This only happens on the V6's as their brake system is different than the 4's.

Seems this is more common in the earlier models. My '09 with 78,000 mi. has not had an issue yet.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It might will 1 day.
And when you want to know if you vacuum pump is dead or your vacuum switch, there is a little procedure to follow.

In my case, my vacuump pump seems ok, but the switch is dead. I gotta replace it but can't seem to find a website that's selling it.

But I gotta tell that it did surprise me at first, I could have smashed into a police car. Really bad timing I'd say!:nono;

1 - 8 of 8 Posts