SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure this issue has come up before but I wasn’t successful in researching it. My 2001 V6 has recently had cold start issues. It’s always done this on occasion but now seems to be doing it more often. Additionally it takes as many as five times to get it to start. I just went through my 60K belt thing and had the 60K service as well. The SAAB dealership tells me that it’s a gas issue. The guy said I should use low octane occasionally because as it gets colder the high grade gas has too much ethanol in it. There was also some issue he said about it only using two cylinders to start and sometimes they’re not juiced correctly or something to that effect. I may be misquoting him. I asked him if might be the crank shaft positioner (I think it’s called) but he said if I’m not getting any warning lights it’s a gas issue. Do you all buy that explanation? I assume if something was broken they would have been happy to charge me to fix it. All I know is that a car should generally start on the first crank.

Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, its a very common issue. There are a lot of posts on it as well. My V6 did it to me today again, first time in a while. I think the official company answer is that it is the change in the gas mix for winter. Aside form that people have said that the throttlebody needs to be recalibrated, adn others have mentioned the MAP sensor. I got some MAP specific cleaning fluid.... but since it was nice outside, and the car was running, I haven't done it.

Iggyssaab said:
I’m sure this issue has come up before but I wasn’t successful in researching it. My 2001 V6 has recently had cold start issues. It’s always done this on occasion but now seems to be doing it more often. Additionally it takes as many as five times to get it to start. I just went through my 60K belt thing and had the 60K service as well. The SAAB dealership tells me that it’s a gas issue. The guy said I should use low octane occasionally because as it gets colder the high grade gas has too much ethanol in it. There was also some issue he said about it only using two cylinders to start and sometimes they’re not juiced correctly or something to that effect. I may be misquoting him. I asked him if might be the crank shaft positioner (I think it’s called) but he said if I’m not getting any warning lights it’s a gas issue. Do you all buy that explanation? I assume if something was broken they would have been happy to charge me to fix it. All I know is that a car should generally start on the first crank.

Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i have the same problem and my saab dealer said the samething with the gas, they just told me to use premium though and nothing about going down in grade as winter comes... but i also tried a fuel injector cleaner and it helped a little

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I have had the same issue for a couple of winters but I jsut changed teh CPS and now it started fine in teh cold ( and my viggen does not do it with the same gas!) so could it be an old CPS is affected in the cold???

·
Registered
579 Posts
Jssaab said:
I have had the same issue for a couple of winters but I jsut changed teh CPS and now it started fine in teh cold ( and my viggen does not do it with the same gas!) so could it be an old CPS is affected in the cold???
I thought mine was the CPS too but it ended up being the battery. It was still the original one on a 6 year old car. New battery and she starts up fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts