SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2011 saab 9-3 Turbo4 and am thinking about putting a cold air intake on it, but i don't know much about cars and was wondering what cold air intake would work with my car and something that wouldn't cause my check engine light to come on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also I have read other forums about air intakes but all the cars were older models and i don't think its the same for my cars year.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Get a tune and then go cold air. I almost made the mistake of playing the game part by silly part then I called the tuners, some who sold fancy filters and intakes but each said to start with the tune. A cold air kit for $100 will get you a horsepower or so here and there but add a few hundred and you get an honest 40 (power is relative in a turbo), every day.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Cold air intake is a waste of money if you're looking for power on these cars.
It will give you a lot more turbo blow off sound if you're looking for that though.

Get a tune if you're looking for power. Your turbo4 is the same motor since 2004, they don't make many intake's because they don't do anything but make more turbo noise.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
echo the statements above, you might gain a pony up high and lose a few down low. it does sound/look nice. my two cents is to avoid oiled filters, go for something with dry media.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i have a '11 Turbo4 also, and i did the $40 DIY intake with a spare airbox i got from the junkyard. the sound is absolutely awesome, maybe the turbo spools up faster but i think it's a placebo ha. and it's only temporary until i get BCB stage 2 and a BSR intake.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Buy the $100 BSR Optiflow, or do what I did. Pick up a K&N drop in filter for $35. Then, take off the front bumper cover and remove the "snorkel" that goes from under the airbox to front by the bumper cover. You'll get the sound you want and it spools up much faster.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Buy the $100 BSR Optiflow, or do what I did. Pick up a K&N drop in filter for $35. Then, take off the front bumper cover and remove the "snorkel" that goes from under the airbox to front by the bumper cover. You'll get the sound you want and it spools up much faster.
OptiFlow is 195 not including shipping. but does the snorkel restrict air flow?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
ahh yeah that was it. Still, a waste of money. If you want looks, do the DIY one in the thread (search DIY intake). Yeah, the snorkel restricts a lot of airflow. it goes from like a 2.5 inch opening to 1inch. If you take off the front bumper and take a look at the bottom of the airbox, you'll see.

·
Registered
313 Posts
ah I might have to look into taking the snorkel off. any water problems? we had a huge rain storm last week (before it turned back into snow) and I checked and there was a small amount of water in the bottom of the airbox.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Pick up a K&N drop in filter for $35. Then, take off the front bumper cover and remove the "snorkel" that goes from under the airbox to front by the bumper cover. You'll get the sound you want and it spools up much faster.
If I were to go for a Stage 2 (say BCB as example) directly from stock right now since their Stg 2 is only $25 more than Stg 1, should I do the airflow mod before or after ?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
ah I might have to look into taking the snorkel off. any water problems? we had a huge rain storm last week (before it turned back into snow) and I checked and there was a small amount of water in the bottom of the airbox.
I've never had an issue. the bottom of the airbox leads to the wheel well which is covered. Before buying anything. Take the snorkel off. Even before buying the K&N. I bet just hearing it that way will make you realize that any open air(optiflow) is a waste of money.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
If I were to go for a Stage 2 (say BCB as example) directly from stock right now since their Stg 2 is only $25 more than Stg 1, should I do the airflow mod before or after ?
Obviously you want to have a new filter (K&N Drop in, Optiflow, or DIY) done before you actually drive with the tune. You don't want to push it. Although I think you'll be fine for a trip to pepboys to pick one up, (I'm not a tuner, so I know nothing), but wouldn't recommend it and in any case, I'm sure the tuner (BCB) would tell you to get the upgraded air filter just from a "liability" standpoint. So go ahead and take all that I said as a "yes, you need one".

I too am going to get BCB. Im stock now, but can go for stage 2 now, however, may get exhaust done and go for stage 3...just not sure yet. I'll wait until I get my tax refund haha.

·
Super Moderator
9,453 Posts
The stock airbox and even stock paper filter has plenty of flow for even a Stage 3 tune. That said, an intake mod is one of the more affordable and fun mods one can perform.

Bottom line, if you're doing it for sound/looks, then yes, it's worth it. Performance wise, you will gain absolutely nothing.

GenuineSaab is a BSR dealer: http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=44_76&products_id=548

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The stock airbox and even stock paper filter has plenty of flow for even a Stage 3 tune. That said, an intake mod is one of the more affordable and fun mods one can perform.

Bottom line, if you're doing it for sound/looks, then yes, it's worth it. Performance wise, you will gain absolutely nothing.

GenuineSaab is a BSR dealer: http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=44_76&products_id=548
Yeah, as Swed mentioned, you'll get no HP increases, just mainly for looks/sound.

I have this guy on my car but instead of connecting it to the pipe that goes to the front bumper, I have it going straight down by the right tires and suck air from there.

http://www.simota.com/search_productsinfo.php?ID=800

I have it on the car for 5 years now with no problems.
I can't say I've ever seen that before...

Is the filter for that inside the cf tube, or, at the end of the tube that goes down?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Perhaps you have dodged the bullet with the Simota unit by altering the position from the intended stock position but when I first bought Wifey's 2.0, it was an attractive add on with the carbon look and all. Then I noticed that one by one, they were being advertised on the used market. It seems that they altered the stock diameter and were a choke point that gave bad readings and MAF alerts or there was allegedly a static load from the air across the plastics in the carbon that were triggering alarms.

Moving it down perhaps helped but the junk in the wheels wells is hardly a place I'd want to draw air.

Likewise, with my Corvette, unfortunately the cheapest and most effective add on is the Varam snorkle but the first question the shop asked me (large but laid back Vette mod service with a great rep), was if I planned to drive the car during the summer here in New Jersey? Of course since it's hardly driven in winter and summer here brings an afternoon thunderstorm that lasts about an hour! Sadly, the Varam sucks too much water. Snorkel is out. :cry:

·
Registered
622 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts