SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 saab 9-3 linear 2.0t and i dont really know a lot about cars or like to pretend to. so what i was wondering is, does my car have a cold air intake? if not would it be a good thing to have preformance wise?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome to the site. Short answer: No. For a long answer use the search as we have beaten this topic to death. But here is the deal.......

No horsepower gains with any. However, it will sound cool and some reported that the turbo lag was decreased.
If you are going to get one, it has to be the BSR intake, which is very expensive. Our Mass Air Flow meter gets easily confused if the piping is changed. The BSR is the same diameter and bend piping as the stock so everything is straight.
Some of us had Check engine lights or even limp mode right after we installed. I was one of that didn't have a problem for about 6 months but ultimately had to remove.(K&N)
My advice is not to waste money on the intake and save up for the PPC........check out the old posts, you'll catch on.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Just a sidenote, The K&N, Simota or BSR Intakes can be considered a Higher flow Intake. But calling them CAI's is a misnomer. The Stock Box with it's enclosed System probably draws cooler Air.

The benifit of a BSR, which I have, is basically a "Sound Enhancement" I've been through two Cleanings and re-oilings with no CEL, no problems.

For just a bit more Sound, get an afternarket Higher Flow (read less dense) Drop in like ITG, JR etc.

·
Registered
407 Posts
ive got the aeroform II. i havent had any cels since i've put it on. i got it for 100 bucks from a friend, so it was a pretty good deal not to pass up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome thanks for the replies that gives me some ideas...for now i just got a drop in air filter from K&N. However a bit of a problem, the size of the air filter i got is about half the size i need. its part #33-2165 which is what a few different places come up with for my car. Any suggestions on the part # i need from K&n?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mines the little t, the only way it could be wrong is if they labeled the box wrong...and apparently they use the same box for different sized filters and just put a sticker on it but even then id find it hard to believe that they'd label it wrong because the filter i need wouldnt even fit in that box. The one they gave me was about half the width i need.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
"t" or "T" use the same stock filter for 175 or 210.

The difference is the volume of the bottom part of the box and the size of the inlet piping.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
JugGerNaut said:
ah here it looks like this one...

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2337

so i guess mines the Euro model somehow.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? lol
Based on everything I've read it seems a lot of manufacturer R&D goes into designing intakes for both performance and acoustics. The fact that there are different airboxes for the 2.0t and 2.0T tells you something.

Companies like K&N want you think you can change intakes like you can tires, and it's just not the case.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i put the air filter in place...its not as deep as the saab one i took out though. does that matter? and its just supposed to sit ontop right? i shouldnt have to push it in to the bottom of the chamber should i?

·
Registered
103 Posts
The drop in filter just drops in. Just make sure the filter is sealing the airbox when closed. If it is just floating in there it's not right.

A tad late but for anyone that cares, a short ram (aka hot ram) is an intake that resides in the engine bay. CAI (cold air intake) is an intake that resides outside the engine bay. You will usually find the filter element in front of the wheel well were it gets outside ambient temp. air. And JonV is right about the technicalities. I think the designation should be instead on the filter element.

oh and jus to solicite my clip again, here's what it sounds like with an intake.;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSh8fdtEZfY

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
When it comes to Saab I may be behind the curve but the essentials are the same. One of the top Corvette shops and I had a talk about the cold air kits and such. In essence, the fellows point was just simple; if you are going to go for the cold air box like a K&N just keep your money. The power gain wasn't worth it. For bolt on gear he said to go with and air box/intake plenum from a Z06 and it would net me about 15 additional horses versus 3 for just the cold air K&N. Next bolt on were headers and I already had a Borla with the "H pipe" so that was about it.

I have been tempted to start playing. Dancing between raindrops and not voiding the warranty holds me back. My wife has no say in these matters. Not a bit. Honest. Would I lie? ;oops:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
i dont think swapping air-boxes will give you any gains. the computer will just adjust, and youre back to square one. maybe with a live tune. save the money, buy your wife something nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Selling BSR cold air intake and filter:$150 plus shipping

I have a lightly used BSR cold air intake. It is lightly used but is in pretty much brand new condition. Let me know if interested $150 obo. Reply to post or email me at [email protected]. I have pics and info for those interested. Thanks!

·
Registered
755 Posts
i recommend you dont get an after market air filter system (BSR or anything like that) YES (BSR would fit perfectly especially with MAF sensor because SAAB's are different fitment than other GM mass air senors..

get a K/N drop in filter. thats it. your fuel economy will be better (depend how you drive of course) i actually removed the piping all the way at the bottom UNDER the actual air box. which actually increased way more air flow plus a cool sound as well.

http://trolltuner.com/?attachment_id=1188

i noticed quite a difference after that ^^ and i pulled that out on accident..i dont regret it at all!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
i recommend you dont get an after market air filter system (BSR or anything like that) YES (BSR would fit perfectly especially with MAF sensor because SAAB's are different fitment than other GM mass air senors..

get a K/N drop in filter. thats it. your fuel economy will be better (depend how you drive of course) i actually removed the piping all the way at the bottom UNDER the actual air box. which actually increased way more air flow plus a cool sound as well.

http://trolltuner.com/?attachment_id=1188

i noticed quite a difference after that ^^ and i pulled that out on accident..i dont regret it at all!!
Did you remove the hose with the bumper still on?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts