SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
the only issue with k&n in your car is that the maf sensor won't like the oil from the filter, and it'll eventually throw a cel. it's another issue with the t7 cars.

·
Registered
170 Posts
While my car has been at GS, I've been driving a 08 Mazdaspeed 3.

This Mazdaspeed 3 has the Mazdaspeed long tube CAI (along with the Mazdaspeed cat back exhaust) that mounts in front of the driver's side front wheel.

The GS kit sounds so much louder than the longtube set up on the mazda. If sound is what you are going for, the GS set up will not dissapoint.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Good info. IMO. I wouldn't bother with that CAI sitting on there next to the block under the hood heat soaked.
I have the K&N. Works just fine. Has that real cold air injection.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Good info. IMO. I wouldn't bother with that CAI sitting on there next to the block under the hood heat soaked.
I have the K&N. Works just fine. Has that real cold air injection.
Roger that! I never understood a "cold" air intake that sucks in hot air!! A new intake is a a waste if it is drawing in air from the engine bay. You are better off with the stock air box at that point.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
that's why it's so nice to do the funnel mod to pull more fresh air from above the passenger foglight into the airbox.;)

·
Registered
454 Posts
The only reason that I have a "cold air intake" is that I broke one of the corners of the factory airbox due to a rusted screw. The GS cold air intake was cheaper.

While I enjoy the sound, I don't see a single logical reason that it would provide any kind of performance increase.

The car has a turbo, airflow restriction isn't really an issue. Honestly, I'm a little upset that I have a filter that doesn't filter the air as well as the stock airbox with a paper filter. You can look on BITOG for some air filter comparisons. The oiled filters, K&N and the like, don't filter the air as well.

The only reason for a "cold air intake" is to cool the air. To do that it needs to be a good distance from the engine. You would need to mount it so low that rain and puddles would become an issue. None if this really matters unless your car is heavily modified. An good intercooler is what one would really need to lower intake temps.

All of that aside, the GS cold air intake sounds really great. If you have the Forge BPV you can expect some horrified looks from the Honda crowd when you drive by. :cool:

·
Registered
427 Posts
i dont refer to mine as a CAI i just say i have an intake because the sound and look is awsome. and it is my opinion that neither the stock airbox or a CAI have much difference performance wise because the air is going through the turbo and getting heated so a few extra degrees wont matter because the turbo is heating the air up anyway then it goes through the intercooler and gets cooled so to me the intercooler is the only real thing that you can change to make a NOTICABLE difference in intake temps. just my .02cents and its probly wrong but o well

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
the only issue with k&n in your car is that the maf sensor won't like the oil from the filter, and it'll eventually throw a cel. it's another issue with the t7 cars.
I've been running a K&N drop-in for over three years with a brand new MAF installed at the same time....no issues yet. I'm very careful not to 'over oil' the filter when I clean it, perhaps that is why?

·
Registered
170 Posts
The GS kit is not even advertised as a Cold Air Intake. It says "Open Air Intake." No false advertising there.

The stock air box is so close to the stock position of the Turbo, the HP gains are very small with the GS kit. With the open air intake, it pulls all the air around it inside. This makes for a louder turbo sound rather than channeling a select amount of air from the the stock box.

You make less HP at idle. Big deal. Air still travels through the cut outs in the front end to lead enough "outside" air to the GS filter once you are moving.

The stock box is much better if you want a quiet car with a filter that can go for a longer period of time without being changed before noticing a decrease in performance. This is perfect for the average 9-3 customer.

Expecting a large HP gain in a stock car with just the GS intake is unreasonable. It does make a great audible difference without question. If you want large gains in HP, look at the DP instead of the intake.

·
Registered
841 Posts
While I enjoy the sound, I don't see a single logical reason that it would provide any kind of performance increase.

The car has a turbo, airflow restriction isn't really an issue. Honestly, I'm a little upset that I have a filter that doesn't filter the air as well as the stock airbox with a paper filter. You can look on BITOG for some air filter comparisons. The oiled filters, K&N and the like, don't filter the air as well.
Good observation about airflow restriction not being an issue with the turbo, but you didn't capture the whole picture. Everything after the turbo is what we don't have to worry about. However, before the turbo is still a concern. Imagine if there was a 20 foot piece of 1" pipe the turbo was trying to suck air through. Wouldn't work so nice. What the GS piece is trying to do is make it easier for the turbo to suck air in by reducing the restriction. As many have pointed out though, our cars have very little piping before the turbo anyway, and the funnel mod with an uprated panel filter is sufficient for relatively high horsepower numbers.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
It's said that the stock air box and delivery pipes are good to upwords 400HP!:cheesy:
And then again there's the delivery pipe between the bellows and the turbo. I've heard switching in the new 9.5 version 'King Cobra' is supposed to be worth a few extra HP, not to mention smooth out spool-up and therefore lowering that initial boost spike.

I assume this is true for the Viggen only too?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts