SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this just happened yesterday, my 2001 9-5 SE V6, 56K miles, drove to work, and drove home no problem, car runs tip top, about an hour later the wife tried to crank the car, and it would not start, the stater was kicking and everything was turning, was like it was being straved for gas. So, natually, I turn on the computer and start reading some posts on this site. 30 minutes later, I go out try to crank again, same problems, so I'm thinking the DI may have flew the coup but they were changed under warrany around 35K and they may have been changed again under the recall, any way. So I go back to reading some posts. The time for service warning has been on for a few days and I run across a post on how to reset it, so I get in to the car, do the reset procedure, and for giggles I tired to crank the car, and is starts with out any issues what so ever. What gives? Is it just a coincidence that it started after I reset the service interval? At the moment i'm just buying time till the 60K service, i may take it in early, the wife is 5 months pregnant, and I don't want to leave her stranded.

Any ideas, no other warning lights are on. I'll have a chance to drive around some tomorrow to see if anything shows up on the SID.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Unlikely to be DI because you have 2 of them (unless they both packed in completely at the same time. and thats prety unlikely).
I would expect it to still start (but run very rough) if one DI packed in.
When i had problems one of my DIs was causing a small missfire when the engine was hot (after about 20 mile of driving).
I think from previous posts it is more likely to be the Crank Posn Sensor.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Chances are your problem is either a faulty crankcase position sensor or a fuel pump on its way out. The CPS usually acts up when the engine is warm but at times can also fail with a cold engine. The CPS is about a $45 part.

Resetting the time for service message absolutely had nothing to do with it starting!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion, I was not aware the CPS was a common issues on the V6, I'll start by replaceing that, and the systoms i'm having are common with the CPS going out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, I like the CPS diagnosis. If it is the fuel pump the car won't start and the tach will read about 250rpm when you are trying to start it. If the DI cassette is bad, I think you will get the same symptom...anyway, that is an indicator but the CPS sounds likely and is much cheaper and easier to replace than the fuel pump.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does the CPS plug into the harness??

OK, I managed to remove the CPS from the engine, but could not figure out how to unclip the other end from the car? It's on the back side of the engine just out of sight, I was laying across the top of the engine trying to figure it out, but being old plastic, I didn't want to force anthing and make it worse. How does this thing plug into the harness?

Had lots to do over the weekend, and didn't allow enought time to finish the job, and then it finally stalled while driving yesterday, and the engine light is now on.

Anyone looking for a good price on a saab 9-5 V6 Dealer Maintained? LOL

·
Registered
230 Posts
There is a groove in the clip where the two pieces connect in which you can insert a flat bladed screwdriver and then you can just pry it apart.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
What kinda mileage on the car? My fuel pumps failed at around 90k miles. Several other posters have said the same. I have a V6 and a i4 version of the 9-5's...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might not be a smart man, but I finally figured out that darn plactic clip.(little forrest gump humor) Job is complete, engine light is off. In additona to all the information on this site, it also provides some of us with confidence to do the job. Thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts