SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay my final question for today!
In order to change the front springs, can i use a standard spring compressor bought from halfords or do i need to get a specific saab part to complete the job?
Cheers - JK :)

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
When I lowered mine a few months ago, i used a standard set of spring compressors (where you have 2 clamps per spring, and do them up manuallly with a ratchet)..... it worked, but was a proper ball ache due to access/clearance and the ratchet fowling the body...... hours of little 1/16th turns..... but got there in the end!

Basically, the more slimline the compressors you can gt, the better, or better still, where you have only one comprssor for each spring

ENJOY :cheesy:

G

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
compressors

You need some with 2 hooks on either end of the compressor else it will tend to slip, i think you probably need 2 aswell, 1 on either side of the spring, when i did mine rescently i discovered that it's quite alot easier if you put a jack under the hub and jack it up first, then put the compressors on, it does quite alot of the work for you that way.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I have a set of the normal £30 machine mart compressors. They are horrible to use on a 99, and i cant imagine that its that much better on a 900.

They also chew up your underseal. and cause a lot of sweating and swearing! :evil: Because of the design of the wheel arch you cant really fit them to the spring that easily.

I can't see those £90 ones on machine marts website. I'd probably have gone and bought some if i knew they existed! I totally despise doing front springs with my normal compressors!

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
chewy

Yep, you've got to line them up with yoda like foresight so they dont either jam against the shock or get lodged between the arch and the spring, and they chew up the spring cover, beggers can't be choosers though :cry: !

Oh to have a F1 class workshop...

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Use the force ;)

Si said:
Yep, you've got to line them up with yoda like foresight so they dont either jam against the shock or get lodged between the arch and the spring, and they chew up the spring cover, beggers can't be choosers though :cry: !
You wait until you are using the normal spring compressors and the spring pops out of them cos you cant fit them properly inside the saab arch. Damn does that hurt! :evil: (I think my knee is like a spring magnet or something since i dropped a landrover leaf spring on it one too!)

I'm happy to spend some more money and go without something else after that! (beans on toast for a couple of months!)

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
I used a set of the Machine Mart spring compressors last week, and I'm now wondering what all the fuss is about :eek:

It's clear that with those compressors you cannot "grab" the whole spring height. You risk the compressor being jammed, knocked off, impossible tool access or driving the shaft up into the wheel arch skin.

So what I did is to use just two of the compressors (the pack contains three) and grab as much of the coil spring as possible but without any of the above risks. In practice that meant a height of three coil loops. Doesn't sound much, but that turned out to be plenty.

The spring came free with zero damage or marking on anything. The compressors didn't touch the inside of the wheel arch at all. Seems there's a technique for using those cheapo compressors.

One mistake I made was to accidently leave spacers between the bodywork and upper wishbone. That of course pre-loads the spring and shifts the wishbone higher, which means that loads more compression is needed. Without the spacers though, much less compression was required than I was expecting.

Should have taken some pics really :roll:

I called Machine Mart's sales line and was told that the decent hydraulic compressors have now been discontinued. Machine Mart did sell them for a while, but then lost their supplier (I bet that had something to do with Sealey) and were unable to source the compressors from elsewhere. Shame.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
One mistake I made was to accidently leave spacers between the bodywork and upper wishbone. That of course pre-loads the spring and shifts the wishbone higher, which means that loads more compression is needed. Without the spacers though, much less compression was required than I was expecting.
That's why i use a (standard Saab)jack under the hub, it's loads easier to compress the spring using the jack, then when it stops compressing you just fit the spring compressors in and tighten them up, unwind the jack and your half way there already, if you do the same when your putting it back on it saves you loads of work to, just fit the spring back in, raise the hub on the jack then decompress the spring to the point that the hub is sitting tightly on the jack and you can get the compressors off, then lower the jack....wolah!

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
I may have had a better experience of the cheapo spring compressors because I'd already removed the steering knuckle assembly, which gave much more space in which to work.

Couldn't jack up the wishbone on this particular car because with the engine removed, the whole car rose! :eek: Bottle jacks are very handy thing - I used two when removing the rear axle.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Matthew (or anyone else with relevant experience) how long should it take to replace one front spring & what possible problems could prevent a new spring(stock / like for like replacement) from going back on easily?

wifie's '93 900 failed its MOT on a front spring & the testing station had the car all day today to replace it. "we've had a problem getting the new one on, come back tomorrow evening" was the response she got when she went to collect it this evening @ 5pm this evening.
just want to make sure she doesn't get overcharged for labour time, thanks ;)

·
Registered
883 Posts
1/2 hour job to remove and replace for any competent mechanic - any more is unreasonable. You have to compress the suspension first and remove the lower shock absorber mount to gain more clearance when you unload the hub.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
:evil: Grrr, she'd already picked it up & paid for it by the time I got home tonight.

charged her 2 hours labour "we had terrible problems compressing the spring, it actually took us more than 2 hours just to fit the new one"
and they charged £50 + VAT for the spring itself - which is more than double PFS price :eek:

I think she just paid them for their incompetence :roll:

·
Registered
577 Posts
well, considering the small space you have available around the front springs it doesn't suprise me if you do not exactly know how to place the spring compressors. Could mean the difference between doing the job succesfully or or having a spring imprinted in your face...

Any way, also used some of those cheap spring compressors and only placing them by 10 cm apart and compressing 5 spring windings you could remove and re-install the spring. No problems on the right side but left side the compressor shifted both times... :x

this spring compressor from Sealey looks like the Saab Spring compressor pictured in the Bentley:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts