SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2004 9-3 2.0t (American manufactured sedan) and this morning I found a puddle of coffee-colored fluid under the car. I read a few posts about it being a mix of oil and coolant (or some other fluid). However, I checked my oil and it isn't showing the same color which leads me to believe that it's mixing under the car or just started. I haven't driven the car for 3 days before this happened and it just started this morning. Is it possible to still drive for at least 60 miles, I need to get back to college.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Your coffee looks a lot different than mine.

Seriously, you need to figure out where it's coming from before you make any determination about driving it. It's too consistent to be mixing under the car. It could be oil/coolant emulsion, but you need to find out. I said you checked the oil; did you look at the coolant?

·
Registered
101 Posts
If the coolant doesn't match the look of the fluid on the ground then it's probably not the source.

Can you see where the engine is leaking? I can't recall if that car has an undertray; if it does, you'll probably need to remove it to see underneath. If the engine is dirty enough that you can't clearly see what's going on, it will need to be cleaned. Get a good flashlight and look carefully. If you find an indication of the fluid, trace it upward until you find the source. Note that airflow into the engine bay can send fluid in unusual directions sometimes.

If you have contaminated fluid in one of the mechanical systems of the car it will destroy it, so it is very important to get this diagnosed and corrected before you drive the car again. Depending on your level of comfort with mechanical work, this may warrant a tow to a shop for diagnosis if you're under time pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts