SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have these two codes come up. Car has a slight vibration at idle. What could be the problem and where should I start? Before I had p0171 and a 02 sensor code now the o2 sensor code isnt there and the p0340 code is there. Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
P0171 is an adaptation issue.

P0340 is cam shaft position.

We don't camshaft position sensors in ours, so I'm not sure why you're getting the cam position fault? As far I as know, the car doesn't have the ability to monitor cam position. Even if the timing chain was so stretched that it's altered how the engine runs, I'm nt sure how it'd know? Maybe it's an error or the wrong number? A P0140 would be a rear O2 sensor.

Any number starting around P0130-P0141 is an O2 sensor related issue. Maybe the numbers were written down wrong and you still have the O2 issue?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
On the turbo cars, the code for the cam position sensor refers to the DIC, I would start with a new set of plugs (NGK1095/BCP7RES) gapped to about 1mm. Failing that swap in a known code free DIC.
Can you elaborate on this? More of a curiosity than anything else.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Pretty much all the P0XXX codes are generic, i.e. P0340 will be a cam position sensor on all OBDII cars, what manufactures do is when the car doesn't have that piece of equipment they use that code for what the car does have that does a similar job. Since the turbo cars have a DIC instead of a distributor (which contains the cam position sensor on the NA models) they use the P0340 code to point towards a malfunctioning DIC. Since the DIC depends on feedback from a good set of the correct plugs (NGK1095/BCP7RES) sometimes changing the plugs will help (it's a cheap start anyway).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts