SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance just bought a '02 Saab 9-5 ARC with the 3.0L V6, it has 66K miles. Anyhow, I drove it home 1400 miles with no issues. Today was her second day driving it and the engine light came on. I stopped at the local Autozone and they scanned it, coming up with code: P0116 ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) circuit. Probably causes, "check connector and wirring, or sensor open or shorted - replace sensor". They get just under $100 for a new sensor. Anyone have any suggestions or info to help? Thanks!

Aaron

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, is there any diagrams or photos of where to look? Any write ups as far as how much of a job or what is involved? Im not a newb at working on cars, or even Saabs for that matter as my dad always had them when I was growing up. This is a new one to me however. Any other info is appreciated!

Aaron

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My other thought is, could it be related to a sticking thermostat? On the drive home from when I bought it, the temp stayed right around 1/3 of the way up. It was very rare to see it go any higher. Around here, although its quite cold out, I haven't seen it go above 1/3 of the way. I would think the temp should be at least half ways??

Aaron

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Temp gauge should go to 9 o'clock and stay there. Its controlled by the ecu and will only move when there's something wrong. As you mention if the stat is stuck open it will indicate a cooler running temp, but its unlikely to give you the P0116 fault code that was pulled by Autozone.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My fiance just called and said that while driving the engine temp went from the point it normally sits at, down to nothing, as if it was a cold engine. Would this be showing a possible bad sensor AND thermostat, or would this false reading be coming from the bad sensor only? Thanks again, especially kermit! ;)

Aaron

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I took a look and I just wanted to confirm that I am looking at the correct part. On the driver side of the engine, almost between the heads, I see a sensor that appears to be the coolant temp sensor. It is screwed in to what appears to be maybe the thermostat housing? I thought it would be in one of the cylinder heads, but I couldn't find anything. Soo...is this it, or am I looking at something else?? Just want to make sure before I remove it and create an additional job.

Aaron

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Search Search Search Search Search Search Search Search Search Search Search Search

I LOVE the search fuction: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115631&highlight=coolant+temp+sensor

Replace both the sensor and the thermo as Murphy's Law will always make the malfunctioning part the other part.

Thermo - as low as $13.50

coolant temp sensor - $13.08

Check for other recent threads using the search function too. I've gotten schooled on how the problem is usually a stuck thermo...;oops:

·
Registered
18 Posts
change thermostat

You have a bad thermostat. Replace thermostat and clear codes and you will be fine. Make sure to remove expansion tank cap before trying to remove thermostat to release pressure. Temp gauge drops because T7 ignition system sees dramatic change in temp and doesnt know what to do.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help everyone. I attempted a search before but didn't come up with anything. Anyhow, I guess I'll start with the thermostat, and if that doesn't fix it, I'll change out the temp sensor. Is there any special process to reset the codes, or will it clear after the car is off and then restarted? Thanks

Aaron

·
Registered
19 Posts
Please Help Same Issue, New guy

I appear to be having the same issue as well with my Saab 9-3 year 2000 as of today.

Is replacing the thermostat and coolant temp sensor a fairly low end job for me to take on or am I most likely going to need a mechanic?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts