SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. Im hoping you may be able to answer a few questions about my 2001 Saab 93. The car is in great shape, and I have been very happy with it, but I now have a problem I cant resolve. I have to take it in for emissions testing, but I have a code 1105 popping up. I have found that this code refers to several potential problems, anything from the fuel pressure solenoid, an o2 sensor, charge air temp sensor, turbo bypass valve, as well as a few others I havent found yet.

I had the car into several shops, and each shop points to a different possible solution. I just want the thing to pass emissions, Im not looking to race it. I started buying all the parts that the shops said were bad, and replacing them one by one. Code still pops up every time. The latest shop said the charge air temp sensor was bad, so I ordered it, but what came in the mail is nowhere to be found on this car. I checked what I believe to be that sensor with my meter, and am finding 2.5 volts across one pair of legs, and 5 volts across another, with the 2.5 volts changing with an increase in rpm. This part is located just above the hooter valve on the air intake pipe. There is a notiiceable drop in engine rpm when the harness is disconnected, so Im guessing this part is ok.

The next possible cause that the scanner is showing me is the fuel pressure solenoid. The reader shows... fuel pressure solenoid up.... code 1105. I looked for this part, but can only find a fuel pressure regulator. Is this the same part? Am I looking at the wrong solutions? If anyone can offer any insight it would be greatly appreciated. Im at my wits end chasing this thing around.

I also was just outside looking at the vacuum lines, and noticed that the vacuum tee, or splitter on the intake manifold is busted. This is the one that has a line going to what I think is the fuel pressure regulator, and to the firewall mouted box. Any idea where I might be able to buy this, or is my best bet a pick and pull?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
If that hose is good:

The diagnostic trouble code is generated if pressure cannot be built up in front of the throttle. This can occur if there is a major leak between the compressor and the throttle or if the wastegate has stuck in completely open position.

The diagnostic trouble code can also be generated if the turbo unit is defective.
Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sensor in the schematic in the above reply does not exist on my car. I have so far today replaced the o2 sensor, the air charge temperature sensor, the turbo control valve, the hooter valve, and various suspect vacuum lines. I have cleared all of the codes, and disconnected the battery. Hopefully all of this will solve the problem.

I do have one more question which may seem stupid, but I honestly dont know, so Ill ask anyway. The wastegate rod.... What is its normal position? I dont see the wastegate opening or closing at all. It is currently pulled all the way in the direction of the actuator. I can move it with a small pry bar, but it slams home every time. Normal? Bad? Disaster? I dont think it can be very good because the boost gauge never goes into the yellow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After an hour of waiting I took the little beast for a ride. Throttle response is much much better, and the boost is rising slightly higher than before. I can hear the turbo winding up, but Im still not getting into the yellow zone. The car is quite fast from 25 mph and up, I was actually pleasantly suprised. If this little Saab is this quick with a soft turbo, I can only imagine what it might be like with it working right. The car seems to build power very fast, and Im beginning to wonder if the gauge itself could perhaps be bad.

My code reader is showing 2 codes incoming, so Im not sure if the initial problem is solved, but I have my fingers crossed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts