SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone... I am going to get a clutch job in the next week or two on my 2000 Viggen. It has 110k miles and the clutch has been slipping for quite some time now. Over the past couple of months it has also started making quite a bit of gear noise on deceleration (if I let off the gas) which I think is due to the throwout bearing?? So anyway I was hoping you could give me some input as to what parts I should make sure to have replaced / inspected while the car is all apart, in the interest of doing the job right and not having to do it again! Here's the current plan, tell me what you think:

1. Spec clutch from GS, stage 3 disk (preparation for stage 3+ software upgrade)
2. New viggen pressure plate
3. Lightened flywheel from GS ( :cool: :cheesy: )
4. New throwout bearing
5. New slave cylinder????
6. Other????

Any input would be greatly appreciated!! I am going to a reputable shop (Conn Tech in Warwick RI) but I really like to be able to walk in knowing what I'm talking about! Thanks in advance :D

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Easy to test the TO bearing - just cause it to be spun, which the pressure plate will gladly do when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Otherwise, it should never turn.
Probably what you hear is the transmission gears/bearings.

Don't forget the seals, now exposed when the transmission is pulled from the engine.
2 side seals
1 input shaft seal
1 flywheel seal
1 shift cable seal , if necessary
shift control bushings, if necessary..
Remove and clean the NSS, if necessary.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uh-oh...are you telling me the transmission is having issues too!??!? :-( I will have the shop take a listen and see if I can get a diagnosis on it...

Thanks for mentioning the seals, I will have those done too. What's the NSS?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
pfb said:
bump... anyone have any ideas about "NSS"?
Neutral safety switch, which I had forgotten that the Saab manual shift does not use....at least not the older ones...
Yes, on these "noises" always go for a second, even a third opinion. .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah ha! Thanks for the reply :) I had thought that noise was the throwout bearing based on what I had read on here...but we will see! Calling them on Tuesday to make an appointment. Thanks again for the help! :cheesy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts