SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my SAAB, the clutch pedal was normal. Recently, I have to let the pedal almost all the way up before it will catch. I know that an stretched cable causes the pedal to be depressed more, but what is the problem if the reverse is found. Does this mean I will soon need a new clutch?

If I do need a new clutch, is it pretty easy to replace at home (any links to instructions are most appreciated)

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that this is a 1997 Saab 900s, 5 speed manual, 2.3 L engine (4 cylinder). - Thanks!

·
Registered
10,379 Posts
Have you tried to get the automatic adjuster to readjust itself? If not, then pull up the fuse box in the engine compartment and give the spring around the clutch cable a few tugs. That should set things straight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

I do not see what model SAAB you have.
I have a 1999 93 Turbo and it has a hydraulic clutch.
I had the same problem one day and I was lucky because all I needed to do was add brake fluid to the reservoir.
To get information on the difficulty of clutch replacement I am pretty sure you should give the year and model, some are a piece of cake some are pretty involved :eek: .
Rick

·
Registered
412 Posts
i had a manual adjusting cable and when my clutch decided to take a **** on me....lol.. i had to bring the pedal all the way for it to catch....and it was slipping in all gears tho....u didnt mention if it was slipping....but it was doing this even after i adjusting it again and again...it didnt make it any better....it was blown...i just did my clutch...and it took about 6 hrs...and my two friends were doing it on a lift in a shop...it was a PITA to get the tranny out...lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't noticed it slipping yet, but stopped driving it immediatly so I wouldn't do any damage to it. I will try the automatic adjuster. It sounds pretty simple. I don't feel like taking the tranny all the way off! Any more advice is always appreciated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts