SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY03 93 Vert. Manual Transmision.

Got in yesterday, pushed in the clutch and tried to start the car. The car lurched backwards as if the clutch did not disengage from the gears. Also, I tried to shift the car out of reverse and it was stuck. I could turn the key, but when I went to lift up on the mechanism on the shifter that releases the lock, it felt like it was already in the up position and I couldn't move the shifter. Finally somehow after trying for many minutes it finally let loose and I was able to shift through the gears with no problems.
Later in the day I had the same problem, car stuck in reverse, shifter wouldn't move and with the clutch pedal depressed the clutch was still engaged. I let the car sit for 20 minutes, went out and turned the key half way and was able to get the shifter out of reverse. Started the car and drove / shifted with no problems.
I took it to my mechanic and he has been trying all morning to get it to fail with no success.

What should I have him check? Could it be low/ bad hydrolic pump?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I would check the brake fluid resovoir to see if it's low, after all, that's where the clutch master cylinder gets it's fluid from. So, the master cylinder could be low on fluid, or the slave cylinder (need to pull the transmission to get to that) may be leaking... Ron

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
If there's dirt in the clutch master cylinder, it may get stuck under the rubber piston seal which can prevent it from generating enough pressure to disengage the clutch.

If the slave cylinder is leaking, you will lose brake fluid.

When you press on the pedal, does it feel like normal or is the pedal very light? If the master or slave cylinder are failing, the pedal should be very light, at least for the start of its travel. If it feels normal, then the clutch plate may be broken or warped.

John

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info...
I'll check the brake fluid to see how it looks.
The clutch pedal feels about the same.
I don't think it's leaking as I park in the same spots at home and at work and there is no spotting in those areas.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
All of the brake fluid must be changed every 60K miles ( or 5 years) or so, in order to avoid this dirt and moisture.
Your clutch master cylinder may have an internal leak, explaining why the clutch is not being fully released.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Good point, if you depress the clutch pedal, you may see brake fluid flowing back into the brake fluid resovoir. If so, then it could be your clutch master cylinder, which I understand is a pain to change... Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts