SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 C900 Turbo Convertible. I've searched all the threads on this but has anyone found a way to compress the clutch/pressure plate without the special Saab tool and without cutting it to pieces. I replaced my slave cylinder a couple weeks ago, bled the system, had great pedal feel/pressure. I drove the car once about 50 miles, pedal starting losing pressure, then at a redlight stopped in a line of traffic, lost the clutch completely and the car starting moving with the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. Very scary! Good thing I wasn't right behind the car in front of me. Anyway, took it back apart and couldn't see anything wrong with the new slave cylinder -- no obvious leaks. Pushed back the bearing cover, all dry. So I replaced the clutch master cylinder and clutch line. Now I can't get any pressure in the system and fluid is hemorrhaging out from the bottom of the slave when I try to bleed it, so it appears to be blown. I now have no way of getting it back out since it's not working at all and I can't compress the clutch/pressure plate to get the spacer ring in there. The first time the slave was still working somewhat so I was able to compress the clutch first. I've read some various possible homemade fixes, but like to hear what has or will actually work. My clutch is fairly new so I don't want to damage it in any way. Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly what I was trying to find. Thank you! This should work just fine (hopefully).

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
That seems like a lot of work!

A similar but faster approach is commonly known as "the three fat nuts trick" … you need three nuts at least 1/2" thick. Closer to 5/8" works better. Remove the pressure plate bolts, insert one nut between pressure plate and flywheel... one every 120 degrees. Insert the spacer tool in the pressure plate, then knock out the nuts. Done.

I use this method even when the hydraulics work!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that does sound even easier than the first. Both are viable alternatives. I will give it a go! Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, now I'm complete baffled. I went out to do the bolt thing, got to looking at it, and the pressure plate is completely compressed without even touching the slave cylinder. I was able to just slip the spacer ring in there with no contact with the slave cylinder at all. Upon further investigation, the slave cylinder is working (albeit still leaking), but since it's not pushing against anything, there was no pressure required on the pedal. The clutch was working properly when I pulled it in the garage to start this. What would cause the pressure plate to not spring back off of a sudden?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it all apart again. Completely stumped. The splines on the pressure plate all seem to be horizontal with no pressure on them to spring back at all. None of them look bent or damaged in any way, but it's like the spacer ring is just lying in there not being held in by any pressure. What in the world would cause a pressure plate to lose its pressure? I could see maybe one or two splines, but every one of them is on an even plane. It's like it's in the compressed position permanently, but there is nothing compressing it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's the same spacer ring I used a month ago, and in 2012 when I first replaced the slave. I couldn't even get it in without compressing the pressure plate. Now it just slid it in with no compression at all. The end of the slave cylinder barely even touches the pressure plate when it's fully extended. It should be actually moving the pressure plate. The pressure plate is in the fully compressed position without anything compressing it, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Next ? If I have to replace the pressure plate, how do I compress it off the car to get the spacer ring in the new pressure plate to get it reinstalled. There must be a procedure for that somewhere that a home mechanic can use but I can't find anything doing a search. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts