SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into replacing my clutch in the near future as it does not clamp down like it used to, but it is still drivable. I sometime drive my car harder that the average person so i would like to replace the clutch with one that clamps harder than the stock but is still drivable in an everyday situation. Any recommendations from other 900 owners would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
There are many c900 owners who have replaced their clutch assemblies with one from a 9000, which has a larger surface area (something like 215mm on the c900 vs. 235mm on the 9000 or something). However, you'll need to pull the 9000 flywheel with it as well. The bright side is it's cheaper to replace, since you simply need to order the stock 9000 part.

What I did is I went with a carbon/kevlar friction disc and uprated pressure plate from Swedish Dynamics, which I have had decent service and products from (service is decent, but not super fantastic), and it's a drop in replacement for c900 owners. I haven't had any problems with it since, and I've ran it with a 3" exhaust and T3 Super 60 turbo. If you want even heavier duty, IronJoe (who had a 3" exhaust, uprated cams, and a T3/T4 turbo) never seemed to have any problems with SD's sintered iron friction disc, and I assume the same pressure plate as I have. He mentioned it's not on their website, and he had to contact them to find some of their unadvertised products. For even more aggressive applications, they've got 6- and 4-puck friction discs. I've heard complaints about SD before, but I haven't experienced any serious issues with them, so I can still recommend them and they've got good products.

Another c900 enthusiast I have spoken to recommended Bully Clutch, who also had a drop in replacement as well, but you'll have to call them as they don't have the c900 application listed on their website; he used this on his 99 running a T16 engine for offroad rally. And, if you check out Malko's project page, it looks like he sourced a Spec Stage 1 clutch, which he can probably tell you more about, though I'm unfamiliar with its performance characteristics. So, you've got some good options.

li Arc

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are many c900 owners who have replaced their clutch assemblies with one from a 9000, which has a larger surface area (something like 215mm on the c900 vs. 235mm on the 9000 or something). However, you'll need to pull the 9000 flywheel with it as well. The bright side is it's cheaper to replace, since you simply need to order the stock 9000 part.

What I did is I went with a carbon/kevlar friction disc and uprated pressure plate from Swedish Dynamics, which I have had decent service and products from (service is decent, but not super fantastic), and it's a drop in replacement for c900 owners. I haven't had any problems with it since, and I've ran it with a 3" exhaust and T3 Super 60 turbo. If you want even heavier duty, IronJoe (who had a 3" exhaust, uprated cams, and a T3/T4 turbo) never seemed to have any problems with SD's sintered iron friction disc, and I assume the same pressure plate as I have. He mentioned it's not on their website, and he had to contact them to find some of their unadvertised products. For even more aggressive applications, they've got 6- and 4-puck friction discs. I've heard complaints about SD before, but I haven't experienced any serious issues with them, so I can still recommend them and they've got good products.

Another c900 enthusiast I have spoken to recommended Bully Clutch, who also had a drop in replacement as well, but you'll have to call them as they don't have the c900 application listed on their website; he used this on his 99 running a T16 engine for offroad rally. And, if you check out Malko's project page, it looks like he sourced a Spec Stage 1 clutch, which he can probably tell you more about, though I'm unfamiliar with its performance characteristics. So, you've got some good options.

li Arc
I accidentally posted under classic 900, I have a NG900 not a c900

·
Registered
978 Posts
To increase the clamping force, increase the spring rate in the pressure plate, to increase longevity increase the size of the friction disk. Increaseing the friction disk without a stiffer pressure plate will not help much on clutch slip, Increaseing both the clamping and size will.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been looking at a viggen clutch, stage 1, or stage 2. I need the car to be drivable every day but, I also do a fair share of "spirited" driving. I do plan on switching to a hydraulic clutch when I do the clutch. I would like to here some of people's experiences with different clutches and if there are any brands that I should stay away from.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Allthough you have a NG900 get a kevlar clutch. I put one on my c900 and there fantastic. I have a gigantic t3/t4 turbo with all the fixins and im putting down 300+ hp and I have absolutly zero issues. The break in is VERY VERY important. You will get frstrated when you first put it on because all it will do is slip, but drive gently the first 600 miles and just be normal with it. After 600 miles slip it on an off by giving it some harder accelration but just dont continuously slip it, and then it will just grab.

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=86_227_600_602&products_id=4232

Its not that expensive and driveability doesn't change. It feels alot like a stock clutch. It's smooth and non jerky. Just don't launch it to hard. I don't think kevlar clutches can take shocks from say a 5k rpm clutch drop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts