SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so, just recently I started noticing that I was having a real tough time making my shifts smooth. Started off barely noticeable, thought it was me just having an off day. Then it got worse-- a lot worse. Now the clutch disengages about 3-4 inches from the floor and the first 3/4 of pedal travel is very very light. Me and my dad came to the conclusion that it is my slave cylinder going out. My car is going into the dealer very soon for a couple pulleys, and while I'm there I'm going to have them take a look at my forward control arms and dash lights. I just want an idea of what is wrong so I can estimate the cost of this endeavor and if I should look at the control arms myself. (Time is the issue here, school is in session now and I'm looking for a new place to live.) Any ideas? Could the clutch just be worn out in need of a new one? (That would be awesome by the way because I'd get to install my LSD!!! :cheesy: ) So, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
Could the clutch just be worn out in need of a new one? (That would be awesome by the way because I'd get to install my LSD!!! :cheesy: ) So, what do you guys think?
Yeah go for that - I'm doing the same ;)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris 9-5 said:
Yeah go for that - I'm doing the same ;)
So you think it's just the clutch past the hydraulic system's furthest adjustment point?

Or are you just saying that so I can install my LSD? :p

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
Or are you just saying that so I can install my LSD? :p
Yep thats it :lol:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi had same problem about 6mnths ago pedal would travel nearly to the floor before it would disengage then suddenly nothing went the cheapest route first new master cylinder £70 seems to be holding fine at the moment

I know the rule of thumb is change one change the other but the other happens to be £££££££ because obviously if your changing the slave cylinder you' ve got to drop the box so you might aswell do the clutch also

Parts for saab
clutch £160
slave cylinder £100

So im hoping the master has solved it for the time being!!!:lol:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How can I tell if it's the master or slave?

The clutch is stuck to the floor right now, and I have almost no clutch movement. When I start the car if I don't hold the brakes it rolls forward. Any ideas?

·
Registered
610 Posts
try and bleed that slave. there is a 9mm (iirc) bleeder screw on the block connector on top of the trans. pump the pedal, hold to floor, and have someone crack the screw to let the air out of the system. sounds like you have a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
StX221 said:
try and bleed that slave. there is a 9mm (iirc) bleeder screw on the block connector on top of the trans. pump the pedal, hold to floor, and have someone crack the screw to let the air out of the system. sounds like you have a leak somewhere.
I can't pump the pedal, it's on the floor... :confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Are you using a manual box or auto?

If it's manual, check your brake fluid reservoir is still full as it uses the same fluid for the brakes and the clutch. The tapping for it is about half way up the reservoir. If it is there's no leak.

There's a plastic cover on the front of the transmission box the lets you see inside the bell housing, shine a torch in and have someone press the clutch and you should see substantial movement on the slave piston towards the engine releasing the clutch. If you don't, and the fluid's full, then it's either the slave, master or air in the system.

The bleed nipple generally won't bleed the slave, look at the problem I had with it.. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112036
That took me several hours to figure out and I've been fixing my own cars for 20 years now.

Good luck,

Pug

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pug said:
Are you using a manual box or auto?
Considering there is a clutch... Haha ;)

If it's manual, check your brake fluid reservoir is still full as it uses the same fluid for the brakes and the clutch. The tapping for it is about half way up the reservoir. If it is there's no leak.

There's a plastic cover on the front of the transmission box the lets you see inside the bell housing, shine a torch in and have someone press the clutch and you should see substantial movement on the slave piston towards the engine releasing the clutch. If you don't, and the fluid's full, then it's either the slave, master or air in the system.

The bleed nipple generally won't bleed the slave, look at the problem I had with it.. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112036
That took me several hours to figure out and I've been fixing my own cars for 20 years now.

Good luck,

Pug
That is actually the information I was looking for, however, just one day too late! I dropped if off (drove it without a clutch... that was an experience.) at the indy last night as I don't have the space or time at school to put it up on jack stands and look around. They said if it's the master cylinder it would be $250 parts and labor, and if it's the slave cylinder you might as well replace the clutch and that'll cost $1400 parts and labor. :eek: Quite a difference in price. However, I'm slightly torn as if it is the slave cylinder, I would have the chance to put the transmission update in along with my Quaife ATB differential! But not sure if the timing and cost is great for that.

The brake fluid was full, but dirty from the front brake job I did a while back and I was waiting for my rear ones to go before I did a full system bleed. Looks like that may be happening early. I noticed a small amount of the fluid on the ground right near the transmission area, not sure what that tells me, but I never saw it again to my knowledge.

I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I feel for you mate.

Out of curiosity, don't you have to machine the gearbox casing to fit the LSD in. Only asking as I'm considering it. After the last fiascoe I had I'm pretty sure I could get the box out and back in in less than a day as I found a lot of things they don't say in the WIS etc that make life a lot easier....
Anyway, hope it works out well for you mate.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pug said:
I feel for you mate.

Out of curiosity, don't you have to machine the gearbox casing to fit the LSD in. Only asking as I'm considering it. After the last fiascoe I had I'm pretty sure I could get the box out and back in in less than a day as I found a lot of things they don't say in the WIS etc that make life a lot easier....
Anyway, hope it works out well for you mate.
I don't think so, I think the ATB actually is the same size as the stock open differential, and is plug n' play. From what I heard it is the best chassis upgrade you can do to these cars, so it's probably worth it.

What was the last fiasco you had?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just the whole gearbox chewing itself up thing...... :(

Nearly had someone sitting in the back to change gear with their feet for me. :cheesy:

Took me about 40 hours to remove it with instuctions and less than 5 to put it back in. Go figure.

Still, got a gearbox spare now and if it's just a few things wrong with it, a bearing or three, a cog or two, I feel a LSD coming on. :cool:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pug said:
Just the whole gearbox chewing itself up thing...... :(

Nearly had someone sitting in the back to change gear with their feet for me. :cheesy:

Took me about 40 hours to remove it with instuctions and less than 5 to put it back in. Go figure.

Still, got a gearbox spare now and if it's just a few things wrong with it, a bearing or three, a cog or two, I feel a LSD coming on. :cool:
Do itttt! :cool:

Great deal at Abbott Racing right now:
http://www.abbottracing.com/2003/tuning/9-5/chassis/9-5_lsd.htm

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, so here is the deal:

Slave cylinder busted, so basically here's the laundry list:

-New slave cylinder
-New clutch
----------------------
Installed: $1400

-ATB Differential Installed
-Saab Transmission Update
-Replace Worn Parts
-Reseal the transmission
---------------------
Waiting for call back on price.

I noticed a while back that my transmission had oil all over it, I chose to ignore it because I knew I would be getting a new clutch soon. Well, they found that the seal on my transmission is leaking so they have to open it up anyway, great time to install the LSD, repair worn parts in the tranny, and put in the tranny update Saab put out a while ago. I'll let you guys know the overall price when I get the quote, and I'll let you know what the difference with the ATBD and the tranny update is!

Wish me and my wallet luck. :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.