SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently on my 1999 9-3 SE the clutch pedal doesnt return to the original position after shifting. There is about 2" of play before the pedal reaches resistance from the master cylinder. The are no problems with shifting.

Do I need to replace just the pedal or the master cylinder or is it ok as is? Or should I replace everything? The car has 165,000 miles on it and I'm running with the original clutch. If I dont have to spend the money (money I dont have) for a new clutch I would rather not.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Recently on my 1999 9-3 SE the clutch pedal doesnt return to the original position after shifting. There is about 2" of play before the pedal reaches resistance from the master cylinder. The are no problems with shifting.

Do I need to replace just the pedal or the master cylinder or is it ok as is? Or should I replace everything? The car has 165,000 miles on it and I'm running with the original clutch. If I dont have to spend the money (money I dont have) for a new clutch I would rather not.
I was about to go on about the self-adjusting cable till i read the year of your car. I dunno what it could be with the hydrolic clutch - but atleast i bumper your thread ;).
Good luck.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Recently on my 1999 9-3 SE the clutch pedal doesnt return to the original position after shifting. Please elaborate, a return spring is used, did this break ??? I think a break here would be very unlikely unless it were very poor quality or 30 to 50 years old... There is about 2" of play before the pedal reaches resistance from the master cylinder. The are no problems with shifting. I think this is close to the allowable max free play ( spec is 19 mm )...The automatic system seems to be inoperative, maybe due to a wearing to worn out clutch master cylinder... or due to a worn out friction disc..I do not know for certain. Most clutchs are replaced when they commence to slip, but an end of adjustment travel can be reached with still good parts...this condition will not last long..

Do I need to replace just the pedal or the master cylinder or is it ok as is? We used to rebuild these cylinders...back in the day...from that point, I do not know how long this repair lasted...as the car hit the yards at around 100K or so....today, I think they last longer...Or should I replace everything? The car has 165,000 miles on it and I'm running with the original clutch. If I dont have to spend the money (money I dont have) for a new clutch I would rather not.
Congrats on the skillful clutch use:cheesy:, these can last the ever increasing life of the car....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Earthworm, to elaborate....the clutch pedal has about 2" of free play before resistance is met. After shifting the pedal does not return to the original position. I have to manually lift up on the pedal to get it all the back.

Can you elaborate, please, on your statement..

I think this is close to the allowable max free play ( spec is 19 mm )...The automatic system seems to be inoperative, maybe due to a wearing to worn out clutch master cylinder... or due to a worn out friction disc..I do not know for certain. Most clutchs are replaced when they commence to slip, but an end of adjustment travel can be reached with still good parts...this condition will not last long..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts