SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a Single Mass Aluminum Flywheel that is a direct replacement for Saab 9-3's both the 5 speed and 6 speed on vivaperformance but I have a question for all of you! Due to the single mass flywheel that comes on a euro spec diesel 9-3 being no longer available at jimellissaab I was wondering would anyone be able to give me information as to whether or not using this flywheel could open up cobalt ss clutch options for the 5 speeds out there? I think it may be possible to use this in conjunction with the Ecotec LSJ Clutch Upgrade Kit available for cobalt ss' and ion redlines. I need a clutch really bad and I think this may solve a lot of problems for 5 speed people.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm in the same boat right now and have been looking at going this route for a while now. I spoke with someone at Fidanza last week and he told me their alum flywheel has stock dimensions. So for about $600 you can go with this flywheel and the gmpp clutch. Not quite as cheap as the Euro flywheel, but at least it's an option. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this in the next week or so.
Another thought I had was to use just the pressure plate from the gmpp kit and couple it with the unsprung stock disk and DMF. (I have a new stock clutch kit that I bought and never installed before I learned that the stock PP is too weak)
Also, I think the aluminum flywheel and gmpp combo has been suggested before, but I don't think that the idea gained too much traction since:
1. The Euro flywheel was so much cheaper
2. Some people are frightened of the possibility of a little gear noise that is inherent with a lightweight flywheel.

·
Super Moderator
11,178 Posts
I've found a Single Mass Aluminum Flywheel that is a direct replacement for Saab 9-3's both the 5 speed and 6 speed on vivaperformance but I have a question for all of you! Due to the single mass flywheel that comes on a euro spec diesel 9-3 being no longer available at jimellissaab I was wondering would anyone be able to give me information as to whether or not using this flywheel could open up cobalt ss clutch options for the 5 speeds out there? I think it may be possible to use this in conjunction with the Ecotec LSJ Clutch Upgrade Kit available for cobalt ss' and ion redlines. I need a clutch really bad and I think this may solve a lot of problems for 5 speed people.
This topic has been discussed at length here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in the same boat right now and have been looking at going this route for a while now. I spoke with someone at Fidanza last week and he told me their alum flywheel has stock dimensions. So for about $600 you can go with this flywheel and the gmpp clutch. Not quite as cheap as the Euro flywheel, but at least it's an option. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this in the next week or so.
Another thought I had was to use just the pressure plate from the gmpp kit and couple it with the unsprung stock disk and DMF. (I have a new stock clutch kit that I bought and never installed before I learned that the stock PP is too weak)
Also, I think the aluminum flywheel and gmpp combo has been suggested before, but I don't think that the idea gained too much traction since:
1. The Euro flywheel was so much cheaper
2. Some people are frightened of the possibility of a little gear noise that is inherent with a lightweight flywheel.

I found (and ordered) the euro flywheel mentioned in the thread and will be ordering the GM uprated clutch kit also mentioned. The website was called Saabpartscheap . com search part number 55352485. $101 shipped to Maine just FYI ceebee

·
Registered
143 Posts
I found (and ordered) the euro flywheel mentioned in the thread and will be ordering the GM uprated clutch kit also mentioned. The website was called Saabpartscheap . com search part number 55352485. $101 shipped to Maine just FYI ceebee
I tried ordering this a couple weeks ago and my order went through fine only to be rejected a few hours later via email because it is on back order there as well.. Did you get that email as well or did it actually work for you? cheers

·
Registered
87 Posts
How long ago did you order that, 2003Saab9-3ss ? I was under the impression that unless it was still in stock sitting on someone's shelf, that no one in the states can get it right now, since the supplier hasn't been supplying them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The euro flywheel is on backorder and according to several sources they are not sure if it will become available again.

Having said that, yes, if the flywheel you are looking at is the same dimensions as the stock DMF one then you can utilize the GMPP clutch kit. I am awaiting shipment of the Fidanza flywheel I bought for $340 to match with my GMPP clutch kit and will have that installed in a month or so. I couldn't really find anything cheaper than this option when replacing everything.

Having said that, as someone mentioned earlier an upgraded pressure plate may be enough for your needs and may prevent needing anything further. I think the 9-5 pressure plate may work (it's the same one that's included in the GMPP kit) keeping everything else stock. I didn't look into this route too much though. In retrospect I think it would work perfectly for me as it is pretty apparent the pressure plate is the issue in my setup I believe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts