SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 2 liter turbo convertable, manual tranny LHD. Today I started having problems with the clutch or some component involved in depressing the clutch pedal. When I press down on the clutch pedal it move freely to the bottom of the floor. I would describe this similar to the feel of pressing down on the brake when there is no fluid in the system.

I understand this is a hydraulic clutch. I did fill the brake fluid container which was somewhat low (didn't help). Does this sound like a clutch or an issue with the hydraulic mechanism? Can it be bled? I cannot shift into any gear now when the car is running.

Thanks for the help!
Dave

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115367

Pics, text courtesy of PMI

IIRC, '99 was the first year of the second revival of the hydraulic clutch.
Easy to tell, there is a clutch master cylinder on the firewall and a feed hose running from the brake reservoir. You may also see the high pressure hose from the cylinder to the transmission bell housing.

I now believe that each and every clutch cable has failed at least once on the 900 NG.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I know you can bleed the master cylinder on the hydraulic clutch, just like you bleed brakes, but my pics in the other thread were for the mechanical clutch cable setup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a hose on the underside of the brake master cylinder that goes somewhere into / around the firewall. I was suprised as I had read that 99 was the first year for hydraulics. I have not looked at it in detail yet but I do have the EPC (electronics part cat) and it shows hydraulic. It might explain the mystery leakage I've been having - fluid behind the gearbox area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One other question. Is the clutch master cylinder the common failure point (or perhaps the slave cylinder)? Any advice on how to diagnos? Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
So then, we do have the hydraulic clutch, and the fluid all slowly leaked out which will ruin the pressure seal.

Lets hope it did leak from the clutch master cylinder and not the slave..
I believe the master can be rebuilt, to repair the leak.. The cylinder should be simple, like the old brake masters back 45 years ago or so..

Try bleeding, but the leak still exists...
And I will remember that the hydraulic system was a '98 event, not '99 ..

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
davidbr93 said:
One other question. Is the clutch master cylinder the common failure point (or perhaps the slave cylinder)? Any advice on how to diagnose?
There aren't many posts about hydraulic clutch failures. I would make sure that air did not get into the system (in other words, bleed the hydraulic clutch). The hose which leads to the master cylinder may come off the side of the brake fluid reservoir, hard to tell from the diagrams. If the fluid level was low, it is entirely possible that there is air in the clutch hydraulics now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just took a look it again in detail. I'm crossing my fingers, but I believe the issue is the hose that runs from clutch cylinder to the slave cylinder. Near the slave where the rubber portion of the hose is pressed into a metal tail piece, there is a split which is leaking onto the gearbox.

How does one bleed the clutch? I see the nipple on the slave. I have a small vacuum bleeder I've used for brakes - would this work?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
davidbr93 said:
How does one bleed the clutch? I see the nipple on the slave. I have a small vacuum bleeder I've used for brakes - would this work?
Same way. Attach the hose to the bleeder nipple and so on... if there are any special considerations with this particular car, someone who has the hydraylic clutch will have to give you advice, or just post a thread about bleeding the clutch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts