SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 9000 cse 5spd 180k

okay, i'm not the mechanic, but my friend is, and the day he replaced my cv shaft and took it out for a test drive he said the clutch or something went stupid...

i went over there, he somehow managed to get it home, he told me to sitdown and try shifting... i started her up, couldnt get it into gear what so ever, the clutch pedal was all floppy and all i noticed was a horrible burning smell... gave up on it for the night...

next day, researched some stuff... tried bleeding the clutch 'bout an hour and a half goes by, we try it... we can force it into the gears now, not even so much forcing, but pushing... clutch pedal still doesnt feel quite right... but he takes it 'round the block... clutch slips a little ( never did before mind you) but he makes it back, so with a little more moral we try bleeding a couple more times...

just as we were about to finish bleeding the clutch, the last time i was pumping it... it goes completely limp... no pressure at all, you can pull the pedal up to where its supposed to rest, but all you have to do is barely touch it and it falls to the floor, we didnt expect that to happen, but now its in his garage until i can figure out what happened

i have a grandpa thats a mecchanic but only works on american, i'll see if i can at least use one of his stalls, maybe his expertise (sp?) but your advice would be awesome

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
It's not going to be difficult to diagnose this one. Sounds like a hydraulic failure, so your options are:-

Failed seals in the master cylinder at the top of the clutch pedal but the other side of the bulkhead (firewall to you ;) ).

The hydraulic pipe from the cylinder to the reservoir.

Or the one you don't want to hear, a failed slave cylinder which is inside the bell housing of the gearbox. This is one of those "we were smoking something when we designed that!!" moments as it requires removal of the bell housing. Mind you, once you're in there you can pop in a new clutch friction and pressure plate. :)

Just one question, did you bleed the clutch using a pressure bleeding kit or just the pedal up/down method - cos that one doesn't work. ;)

David.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we bled the clutch pumping the clutch, then releasing the pressure from the bleeder thing... i was just helping, i know very little 'bout cars... but yeah, he said that that way was worth a shot cause its easier, i guess now we'll try "pressure bleeding" but whats the easiest cheapest way of that?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
No it's actually much easier to pressure bleed!

You buy one of these http://www.top-gear.net/product.asp?u=40788N38066.8826921582&pnid=279&deptid=13 from a dealer near you.

You fill it up with fluid, stick the cap onto your reservoir, the other end onto a spare tyre (deflated to around 20psi).

Then you just open the bleed nipple and wait until all the bubbles come through and when they have finished, close the bleed nipple, disconnect it all and then remove some fluid using a turkey baster to get the reservoir level back to MAX.

Job done.

David.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm having the same problem, although I can't get into gear really at all, and the clutch still has a little pressure.. but still falls quickly.. let me know what happens with yours if you get it fixed, the mech. hasnt found my problem yet

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
9000maptun, sounds like your clutch hyrdaulic system isn't working either, same thing, either it's full of air, the master cylinder seals are leaking or the slave cylinder seals are gone.

The other possible is the hyrdaulic line between the reservoir and the master cylinder but that's pretty easy to inspect, you'd soon see if it was leaking.

I don't see why this is so hard to find, if you bleed the clutch properly, there are only really the two cylinders to choose from.

The master one is a little awkward (much easier to get at through the wheel arch and take the liner out) but simple enough to swap the seals on once, you've got it off the car. If that doesn't sort it out (having bled it properly again) then it really points to the slave.

You're never going to engage gears easily if the clutch isn't disengaging.

David.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My '87 did the same thing today actually, but it wouldn't come out of gear, The petal went to the floor, I shut her down and coasted to a stop had it towed home, I have no visible leaks, pressure bleeding dosn;t do anything. I bought a used master cylinder for 12 bucks, (yes I checked it for pressure before I even pulled it from the car) if it isn;t that... I don;t know where to even start to replace the slave... anyone want to buy an '87 9000? lol j/k

·
Registered
67 Posts
9000MAPTUN said:
Yah, I'll let you know how I make out tomorrow. The mech said im in 1st and reverse at the same time. we'll see.
:confused: never heard of that before but, who knows anything can be possible

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I'd be very suspicious if the car was said to be in two gears at the same time. If the clutch was working normally then yes something could break but if the clutch isn't working properly and you can't engage gears I'm lost as to why anyone would think that it's suddenly the gearbox when the clutch isn't working?! Does he normally work on automatics only? Sorry, it just doesn't equate.

If it's not the hydraulic lines and not the master and the system has been bled correctly then it tends towards the slave cylinder.

That's a bell housing off job but at least by that time, you've got a full view of the rest of the clutch assembly :cheesy:. Someone was on drugs when they designed it like that, it's far more sensible to have the slave on the outside of the housing and just have a lever going through to control the release bearing.

Here you go, it's the bit right in the middle, just means removing the gearbox and casing.

David.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts