SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the hydraulic clutch be ripped out and a cable clutch be placed delicately in? - The hydraulic clutch seems to be the weakest part.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Can the hydraulic clutch be ripped out and a cable clutch be placed delicately in? - The hydraulic clutch seems to be the weakest part.
I doubt it, it would be neither easy or cheap.

The hydraulic system is not weak in any way, many people are on original clutches, slaves, masters etc and have had no problems. The determining factor is brake/clutch fluid changes, which most people completely neglect. The rust causes pitting leading to leaks and seal failure.

Just buy a replacement master from a junkyard or a seal kit for yours if you don't want to justify the money.

Shadetree jobs won't save you time OR money, to think or attempt otherwise is pointless and foolish.

www.rockauto.com sells excellent refurbed parts for saabs cheap unless you're in the UK, then partsforsaabs is a good option (I think they're UK based)

I respect the ideas but basing them on misinformed opinions is not going to make your time with this Saab cheap/cost effective or enjoyable.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I agree. The hydraulic clutch system is not weak in any way. A cable clutch, if it could be installed would give you more problems. The clutch fails through neglect and abuse. Get it up to standard with good quality parts and it will give you good service for many years.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I also agree that the hydraulic setup is lighter and more precise. I wouldn't try to "rebuild" the cylinders with new seals as I haven't heard of a single instance in which it didn't fail after a few months.
New parts and you should be good for at least a decade.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for setting me straight, it's only day two, I have a lot to learn.
Just read of so many probs with the clutch - I hear what you're saying about the fluid, I've drained *chicken soup* more than once from a clutch/brakes, It does get neglected.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
If you want to not make mistakes, I'm suggesting you buy a Bentley or download those PDFS are read through them, there has been more than a number of people show up these forums that have made mistakes with these cars because they tinker and don't know what they're doing.

I don't presume to know your technical ability or to insult you with this comment, but these cars ARE different in a number of ways. Common sense will prevent you from breaking things but you'll struggle to fix things if they do break without a knowledge base. A Bentley is a small price to pay for guidance and understanding of your car. Failure to understand these systems can leave you stranded and out of pocket more than 30-50 bucks! If you don't want to cough up download the PDFs

You won't regret the $ nearly as much as if you get in over your head and break something or get it going and get stranded somewhere. The forum is here to help and part of the help is suggesting you do some entirely logical light reading ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my ability is good, my knowledge on the 900 is not :roll:, I thought it was RWD till a few hours ago:lol:

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
my ability is good, my knowledge on the 900 is not :roll:, I thought it was RWD till a few hours ago:lol:
if you're not sure about something at least ask the forum, mistakes are costly.

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
Most pain in the bottom issue with the clutch is elongation of the clutch pedal clevis pin hole/worn clevis pin/master cylinder piston clevis pin hole. And that would happen on a cable operated clutch as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts