SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I discovered my clutch master has started to have some leak down. I was wondering how long she'll last if I continue to drive her around like this? I want to order the parts off thesaabsite and see about rebuilding it myself. Are there any crazy arcane instruments I will need to do so? I was thinking about having a local shop do it as well and flush the fluid while they're at it.

Also if anyone is in California with a spare fuel tank I would be happy to take it off their hands. I need one since mine has a crack in it and I am tired of smelling gas and I need to pass smog soon.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a good option as well. I just didn't want to shell out the $125 for the one from thesaabsite. I suppose I will get what I pay for on this one, but to have peace of mind she won't fail while going down the road would be great. So I have read that I need a pair of snap ring pliers to get the circlip off? Anything else I will need for this job?

I may order the part before I drive to Chico. I think she'll last until then. I lubed up the push rod pretty good which kept the master cylinder alive in my del sol for a long while. I think my friend is still driving around with it leaking.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
The cheaper cylinder is just as good as the more expensive one. They charge what the market will bear.
If you're careful, you can replace it and avoid bleeding the clutch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have an in depth tutorial on replacing it? I really want to know what I am getting myself into and what I need before I take my clutch pedal apart. This is my only source of transportation so if I mess something up or don't have the replacement part then I will be without a vehicle which can prove to be problematic.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Here's a detailed post on replacing the entire clutch: http://www.saablink.net/forum/general-classic-900-posts-information/34353.htm

go about halfway down and you'll see the section on replacing the master clutch cylinder. It's not too bad a job although you'll be on your back for awhile. Here's another post on rebuilding the master:

http://www.thesaabsite.com/FAQ--clu...r-cylinder-rebuilding-(detailed).html#linkbar

When you reattach the hydraulic line to the master in the engine bay be very careful not to strip the nut! Do it by hand for awhile to ensure it's going on right.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
When you reattach the hydraulic line to the master in the engine bay be very careful not to strip the nut! Do it by hand for awhile to ensure it's going on right.
Start the threads on the line before you tighten the retaining nuts for the cylinder. It's much easier to get the threads started if you can wiggle the cylinder a little bit. Later...
Leave the line a little loose, fill the reservoir, pump the pedal no more than 1", several times, wait for line to start dripping, tighten line, another half-dozen 1" deep pumps. You have a 90% chance of not having to bleed it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting, what tools would I need for the job? Should I just empty out the brake fluid reservoir that is in front of the accumulator? I blame the crystallized brake fluid for the cylinders demise. I thought about just cycling it a little bit by taking some out with a turkey baster and dumping new dot4 in.

What is the probability of my slave failing after replacing the master? I know this is common on other cars, but it seems to be less so on Saabs? She has 190-210k on her so I would think they at least did the slave when they did the clutch.

·
Registered
994 Posts
just did mine a couple of weeks ago. was a ***** and a half, because i did it without removing the brakes master cyl... which... i then replaced afterwards... ;oops:

my best advice to you is to buy a motive power bleeder with the european screw on attachment.

you put pressure on at the reservoir (as per recomended protocol) and it shoots all the air and fluid out the bleeder :)

best tool i've invested in for brakes.

but yea, i used the ac cardone part, which is the same thing from oreilly, napa, or autozone.

same bulk catalog.

and do not rebuild. waste of your time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts