SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dear 1995 "Saaby" 9000cse Ecopower has reached the heights of 176000 miles and i think the original clutch is nearing replacement! :-(
My question is... the standard 3 part kit i have been quoted does not include a "concentric slave cylinder" tho some do... but i have been told...and quite rightly... that i need to replace other key bits that may be likewise worn rather than have to drop the gearbox again in the near future. As i have rung around, opinions and quotes have differerd as to whether there is one to be replaced!!
I'm.... CONFUSED!!
Please help... laymans terms would be good... i used to be an accountant!! :lol:
Many thanks

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Fix it right the first time...

If you have the original clutch, then I assume you have all other original parts in there as well. I would strongly suggest paying extra to install a new slave cylinder while the new clutch kit (pressure plate, friction disc, and throwout bearing) is being installed.

I don't know how easy it is for you to pull out the gearbox and change out these bits, but if you are paying a shop to do the service, you only want to pay the labor cost when you really need to.

Also, depending on how bad the flywheel surface looks you may want to have it machined, where a few thousands of an inch are removed, and a perfectly flat friction surface is restored. If the clutch has been babied its whole life the flywheel is not badly galled, then the surface may only need to be "roughed" up a bit to get rid of any smooth wear.

tl;dr: Do it all now, and be worry free for another 176,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
The slave cylinder is concentric, dating back to the 99/900 series with its weird in line backwards engine installation. This part must work perfectly or the clutch won't work. Unlike other styles of slave cylinder the SAAB design has no tolerances. ALWAYS put a new one in and ALWAYS buy highest quality OEM specification slave cylinder. Do not try to rebuild the old one and do not buy cheap. Same goes for the throwout bearing which should be the best you can find, they work together.

·
Registered
13,179 Posts
ALWAYS put a new one in and ALWAYS buy highest quality OEM specification slave cylinder. Do not try to rebuild the old one and do not buy cheap.
You can either take that good advice, or do the job twice.
It's not uncommon to have a clutch master cylinder fail shortly after a clutch replacement, but there's no financial penalty in that case for taking a chance on the old one.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I am amazed by the durability of later model MC located in the pedal box inside the car. Touch wood, but I have 230,000 km and 15 years on my factory MC. One clutch replacement. I did wonder why brake wheel cylinders lasted so long and master cylinders didn't given the design is similar. MC pistons do travel much further than the other end I suppose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts