SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So another issue that literally just happened is that I lost all clutch pressure - feels like the master cylinder has gone however I noticed fluid leaking under the car before it was leaking inside - is there perhaps something else going on or is it normal for the master cylinder to leak through the engine and drip underneath as well as inside the footwell ?
thanks

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
There are only four components - the slave cylinder, hydraulic line, master cylinder, and feed from the brake fluid reservoir... just look to see which one is leaking and then you will have your answer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think my slave cylinder looks a little bit on the edge also. I don't know what would cause this kind of meltdown??? Maybe it's time to replace before I have fluid inside.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm away from the car at the moment but would like to clarify something - if I indeed had a leak from a hydraulic line and not the master cylinder then I wouldn't see a fluid leak under the pedal in my footwell right ? That's more likely to be a direct failure of the master cylinder ?
thanks

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That narrows it down then ! Although there was also leakage outside the car too underneath from the engine bag but I guess the master cylinder could leak at both ends

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
That narrows it down then ! Although there was also leakage outside the car too underneath from the engine bag but I guess the master cylinder could leak at both ends
The master cylinder will leak INSIDE only ( well unless you undid the metal line coming out of the MC )
If you have brake fluid under the car , at which end of the engine bay ? And are you sure its a clutch leak not a brake line ?
IF its up near the firewall then the flexible line from the fluid reservoir to the MC may have a problem .
If its nearer the front , its the slave ( drip out of bottom of gearbox housing) or its the flexible bit of hose from the rigid line to the slave ( both are pretty common failure points )
As Jvan pointed out earlier . 4 likely leak points , but only one ( the plunger into the MC) will see fluid internally .
The other 3 mentioned will show externally .

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I think my slave cylinder looks a little bit on the edge also. I don't know what would cause this kind of meltdown??? Maybe it's time to replace before I have fluid inside.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
a little ? Wow That has had a major leak at some stage , or you live in the ocean ! Perhaps it had a seal kit fitted to rectify a previous major leak ? Even the studs are rusty .
If you are not loosing fluid and are not having clutch issues , then perhaps best left alone , But I would be getting a replacement ready ,,,, The internals cant be anywhere that condition Or you would know it .

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The master cylinder will leak INSIDE only ( well unless you undid the metal line coming out of the MC )
If you have brake fluid under the car , at which end of the engine bay ? And are you sure its a clutch leak not a brake line ?
IF its up near the firewall then the flexible line from the fluid reservoir to the MC may have a problem .
If its nearer the front , its the slave ( drip out of bottom of gearbox housing) or its the flexible bit of hose from the rigid line to the slave ( both are pretty common failure points )
As Jvan pointed out earlier . 4 likely leak points , but only one ( the plunger into the MC) will see fluid internally .
The other 3 mentioned will show externally .
Well the issue started with the brake fluid light coming on so I topped up then it came on a couple of days later then I noticed fluid dripping just behind and to the rear of the left front wheel - couldn't really see where it was coming from but could just about see that the left shock mount inside the engine bay looked wet with fluid. I drove the car for a day and then left it for two days - opened the driver door and saw fluid had leaked down to under the clutch pedal - 90 minutes later of driving the clutch gave out . So Aussie900 you don't think this is just a master cylinder failure ? There was definitely a leak under the car days prior to the clutch giving out. Could it be the hydraulic line to the master cylinder leaking but then why was there fluid leaking inside the car - two simultaneous failures ? Unlikely ? So must be connected ?

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Fluid can leak from the rubber bushings the reservoir plugs into, the little hose that feeds the clutch master, through the back of the clutch master cyliner, or all of the above.

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Yep. Only way to know what is leaking is to look... Get a flashlight, clean it up, refill the system, etc... You gotta look.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But would a leak from this hose cause a master cylinder failure where it leaks on the inside as well ? or would a failing master cylinder cause a leak from the hose on the outside or is it they just happen to happen at the same time. I had a leak inside the engine bay / under the car prior to a leak inside and the eventual clutch failure - trying to ascertain causality here - I'm sure the leak outside and the leak inside and failure of the clutch are connected right ? Someone said a master
Cylinder failure would only leak inside the car

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
There may not be a chain of causation. The main cause of all the possible leaks is old age. All the parts suffer from it.
Clean the area, sprinkle with Baby Powder, check later, replace everything that leaks.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so could t see any obvious leaks apart from a slight drip from a brake line which I found and of course the leak inside from the clutch master cylinder. So I replaced the master cylinder and then bled the clutch via the slave but I couldn't get any pressure build up - pedal is the same as before so now I'm suspecting the slave has a leak ? But I can't see anything - this is confusing

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
Brake lines should NEVER leak. That needs to be fixed ASAP.

If the slave cylinder is leaking, it will be visible. The only place for fluid to go is out into the world. It can't have a "bypass leak" as the master cylinder can.

Be sure you properly bench bleed the master before installing... that step must not be missed.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bench bleed the master ?? I've never done that on any master cylinder install and never had an issue ? It's already installed

·
Registered
8,183 Posts
You can do it in the car, but unless you have specialized tools for bleeding it's really the correct approach. Otherwise, air can become trapped in the MC and then the clutch doesn't work.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Open bleeder.
Let some fluid drip out.
Close bleeder.
Reach through inspection hole with 2 long screwdrivers and push the release bearing toward the front of the car.
This forces fluid back into the reservoir, and never fails.
If it doesn't work, there's something else wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts