SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 1985 900 8 V N/A has a slipping clutch. It's not so bad from the start, I can even make the tires spin in first gear (just for testing purposes) but if I'm at 80 km/h in fifth gear and go down into 4th and floor it, the clutch definitely slips a while before the car accelerates.

A few questions please

1• I am planning a 600km trip next weekend and I won't be able to change the clutch before then. Should I make the trip? Would you? Could this condition damage the fly wheel? I wont race, it's a 8V after all...

2• I would like to replace the clutch myself. It will be my first clutch replacement. I have read many posts right here on SaabCentral and I feel I can tackle the job. I wonder if I could just replace the friction disk and keep the pressure plate. Would this be a bad idea? Budget is tight.

3• How can I determine if the pressure plate is OK?

4• How do I determine it the flywheel is OK? I know it can be machined but I have no idea where yet.

Thanks in advance. I'll try to document the whole procedure and post it here. One post post on clutches cant hurt.

Simon

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
600 round-trip? Sure I'd probably do it if you can drive without it slipping

If you slip too much you can blue the flywheel and if it wears down too far it can grind into the disc

You can just replace the friction disc of course, if the other facings though are screwed-up from heat or wear then you might have chattering problems that may or may not annoy you.

3,4 just look at it ;)

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
1• I am planning a 600km trip next weekend and I won't be able to change the clutch before then. Should I make the trip?
So long as you drive around the slipping as much as possible, there shouldn't be any problem at all.

I wonder if I could just replace the friction disk and keep the pressure plate. Would this be a bad idea? Budget is tight.
It's a false economy at the best of times - but after it's been slipping, definitely.
re shouldn't be any
3• How can I determine if the pressure plate is OK?
By eye. There shouldn't be any blueing, the face should be smooth, and the diaphragm fingers shouldn't be badly worn from the slave cylinder.

4• How do I determine it the flywheel is OK? I know it can be machined but I have no idea where yet.
Same as the pressure plate (minus the fingers...)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 600km round trip. Going up to Québec City. I think I'll take the chance, I'm a CAA member after all :cool:

I will most probably get the clutch and pressure plate changed along with the involved bearings. Hopefully the flywheel is OK.

I was wondering what would be the chance that oil on the clutch could be the problem? Not that there is any severe oil leaks or anything obvious, but, under that pressure plate, I have no idea what I will find. I imagine there is a seal of some sort around the shaft. Is that a hard part to change if it's leaking?

S.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just don't let that clutch go all the way will be a bear to get it fixed if it snaps shut and you have to use the "Bar " to get it open and change it
just my 2 cents

1 - 5 of 5 Posts