SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i'm new here. I have a saab 9000 1989 model. The problem i have is that there is no pressure in the clutch, the clutch doesn't go to the floor and stay it, it returns fine just no pressure cannot disengage the clutch at all.

It has recently had a master cylinder kit, and i cannot physically see any leaks around that, so i'm assuming that is fine.

Clutch/brake fluid is below minimum and with the car running brake fluid is leaking onto the floor below the gearbox. I am assuming my problem is the slave cylinder, but just wanted some other opinions. Should i be checking anything else first like hoses etc running from the resevoir, or is it definately slave?

If this is the case, i'm assuming the slave cylinder is inside the gearbox (why i do not understand) and what is involved in removing the box?

Thank you in advance for any help, and i do apologise if this has been covered before, i did have a search but couldnt find exactly what i was after.

Max.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If the brake fluid is leaking from the gear box and pressing the pedal does not disengage the clutch, are the symtoms not obvious enough? To make absolute sure, have an assistant depress the clutch while you look into the opening on the gear box to see if the pressure moves the clutch.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
The slave cylinder is concentric to the transmission input shaft. Removal of the transmission is essential to replace it. Might as well do the whole clutch while you're in there.

The leaking brake fluid from the "transmission" (I assume from the hole in the bottom of the bell housing) with the immobile clutch are diagnostic of a blown slave cylinder.

R&R the transmission is a big job but doable for the reasonably skilled amateur mechanic. You are just unbolting parts and bolting new ones on. Main issues are dealing with the weight of the transmission when you have to remove and replace it and getting hold of a suitable mandrel or dummy input shaft to align the clutch plate as you bolt down the pressure plate. Without this centering tool it is very, very difficult (as in almost impossible) to put the transmission back, an omission often overlooked by the home mechanic until well into the job.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts