SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I 1st got my 900 the master was in-op. I took it apart and fixed it and it lasted for 12 months, next time I replaced it and a short time later the slave went out (common).
I just got around to pulling it out and came across this mess!
Once I pulled the cover, I found one cover bolt broke off in the flywheel. My experiance has been if even one bolt is broke, the clutch slips, but this one did not. I bleed the slave enough to get the "tool" in the diapharm spring. All the remaining bolts came out fine, as did the input shaft.
It has been close to 20 years since I last did a 900 clutch, I remember it being tight, but everything comeing out once the diaphram spring is "caged". This one would not come out no matter what it did, pushing pulling, prybars nothing would give enough room.
Finely got it out, the damper spring on the disk were hangeing up in the flywheel. This is what I found:
IF you look at the pic's carefully, you will see the pressure plate is not square in the cover. One side is below the cover bolt surface while 180 degs is proud of the surface. There are 3 "clips" or fingers that attach to the pressure plate and are supposed to go over the diaphram spring so when the spring is compressed, the plate is pulled back. 2 of the three were under the spring and could only get that way during cover assembly. The spring could push the plate forward but not pull it back. I know the pic's aren't good but I think you can see what I'm talking about.
The one broken bolt was likely broken on assembly when they tried to pull the pressure plate tight to flywheel, but the clip was holding it proud of the cover.
I still don't know how they got the cover,disk and slave in with the cover like it is? This car had a engine/trans swap so may be the clutch was installed before mateing to the trans, but why was it allowed out the door with a broken cover bolt?
What is truly supriseing as I have taken many trips with the car the way it is, and it drives ok. 1st,2nd, and 3rd syncro's are weak and I always blamed that on the previous owner, figuraging it being a turbo, he "speed shifted" it. But now I think it was more likely a dragging clutch.
Pulled the flywheel and drilled out the broken bolt, got lucky and once 1/2 way thru the drill cought and wound the remaining bolt right out... can't loose every time!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pressure plate came in during the week (Rock Auto closeout) and I repaired the damper spring opening in the disk, installed the clutch with a new slave and all is well, infact better then before. It now shifts easyer between 2,3,4th where I used to double clutch (more out of habit, I do drive non-syncro transmissons more the syncro'd) I don't now. Still grinds into 1st but likely nothing left of that synrco, as it takes the worsed beating in any trans. I have 4 new syncro ring but can't be bothered to pull the trans to do the job, at least right now.
Also repaired the bolt hole in the timeing cover for the A/C idler pulley. so have A/C now. Wasn't sure what to expect out of the A/C as I bought the car in winter, and the threads came out with the bolt when fixing the alternator bracket alternator was loose when I bought it, so never really had it working. Turns out the A/C was overcharged and had dye in it. Either they way overcharged it, or it doesn't leak any more. I removed a little 134a into my "salvage tank" (an old barbque LP tank that I evacuated for the purpose of storeing Freon if I have to open a system to work on it) and life is good.
It is unfortuneate that many believe that if the correct amount of Freon is good, more is better! This had enough that the compressor clutch would slip if you had the engine running at speed with the hood open, High side pressure was 375 or more , and the low side was over 40! Brought it down a bit and cools a lot better, pressures lower, and no slip on the compressor clutch.
Nice to have the car back. As I am on the road most weeks, and always have some maintance to do on the trucks or trailers, I have little time or desire to work on cars too. Many times things on the cars don't get done for months, but it is nice when they do work out. I still need to put a mufflar on my '42 International, and rebiuld the brakes on my '48 but both these can wait. The '48 is never off my property, and the '42 only goes to the dump and back and isn't too loud.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top