SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well in 2nd gear the other day getting on the highway at about 3krpm I stepped on it and the tach just shoots up and im not really accelorating and no wheels spin.

Crap :x, there goes the clutch...maybe the Drag Strip wasnt a so good choice a few weekends ago.

But as one thing fails you can always upgrade so now I have a few choices.

There is a clutch and pressure plate from the spare 900s that I bought, not sure of the milage as it was in a front end wreck and no battery. Do we turbo saabs share the same clutch and pressure plate? I assume yes. Then again I am wary of going through the work of putting in a new clutch only to have a half worn one in.

I could go Viggen clutch and pressure plate, new clutch and more clamping power of the stock.

Or I was maybe thinking about the stg 2 clutch and viggen pressure plate that is offered from www.genuinesaab.com for only a tad more than the viggen clutch would cost.

Any other choices?

Right now I have 2.5" Abbot DP, Saab Sport Exhaust, 3" modded intake w/K&N filter, Viggen IC is on the way and probably put a t25/t28 hybrid in down the road. And then of course an ECU (a stg 3+ or possibly 4) to tie that in together. Now with that power the stock clutch will be a bad choice as what I already have done probably deminished its life, so I guess that is ruled out.

Anyone know what the stock clutch and pressure plate cost? Should I go for the Stg 2 clutch or the Viggen Clutch with the proposed power? The stg 2 is about $300 while the Viggen is about $250ish (that includes the same viggen pressure plate in each package)

So I guess I am asking what your thoughts are, is there worthwhile difference between the stock Viggen Clutch holding power and the upgraded Stg 2 holding power? And are there any other choices?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Mark-you have cable clutch right?If so,it's gonna be some extra effort with whatever clutch you upgrade to unless you switch to hydraulic.I have viggen clutch in my 9-3 which put down 288 hp and 305 ft lbs at the wheels and it's still holding so I think it's o.k.With viggen clutch,it has almost same as stock feel and engagment.If you go with the Spec clutch form Genuinesaab,it will hold more torque than the viggen,but I've heard it's kinda grabby and will not be good in traffic.I would def. not go with a Spec with a cable clutch.Those cables are not strond as it is so a heavier pressure plate will definitely cause it to break sooner.Do the hydro conversion if you can and get a Viggen clutch for a daily driver,that's my suggestion.(By the way,I think parts for saabs has some clutch options also).

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
I spoke to Nick about this when mine went South on me. He does not recommend Viggen clutch with cable. Extra effort may be acceptable to you as a driver, but it will shorten the usable life of the already shortly-lived cable. I opted for the kevlar disc and stock pressure plate. I have Speedparts Stage 2 ECU and intake, 3" DP, Viggen IC and Saab sport exhaust, theoretically around 240 to 250 hp at the crank, and it is holding fine.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well considering I'm starting to think about a beater auto car to drive in traffic around here, I think I will opt for the viggen clutch and pressure plate. I have no plans to be putting down 280+ to the wheels any time soon so if the viggen one is more drivable and can handle it, than thats what ill choose.

Thanks for the responses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts