SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....after having my Saab down for 2 weeks doing a suspension rebuild ($800) and then new tires ($600) and 3 days after I get it back on the road the a/c compressor goes out ($400)...I finally think all is well..until Monday...2 weeks after all this...my clutch catastrophically fails...:evil:

I was almost to the point of saying screw it...and donating it charity..but at the end of the day..I do love it...and I've only got 40k on my engine rebuild..and I'm so far into it now, I might as well just go ahead and fix it.

I've had clutch chatter since about 3k after I did my rebuild..at which time I also did a new Sachs clutch pack and slave. I remember ordering it from partsforsaabs.com...and they were back ordered on the disc...and it came seperate from some weird warehouse of which I was skeptical like 3 weeks later. I suspected the chatter was a broken spring...and tonight that was confirmed. It had been getting worse...and I noticed it especially when I was idling with the a/c on. I also started noticing some noise on acceleration which almost sounded like an exhaust manifold leak or something...but I think it was the clutch.

Anyway...I've got it all out and the new Sachs kit should be here Friday...along with a new slave. I took a pic of my flywheel.....I had it resurfaced when I did the clutch 40k ago...but if any of you experts out there could tell by the pic if it needs to be redone I would appreciate it....FYI..it's smooth, just a little discolored.

So...I guess the lesson here is...A. If you're not sure about a part that's a bitc* to replace...don't use it. B. If you've got clutch chatter...this is what you can eventually expect.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Don't think I've ever seen a coil spring come loose in a fairly new clutch like that before, usually it's a problem with a heavily worn, much used clutch.

Weird!

And yea, the clutch, pressure plate and release bearing/slave cylinder are parts you don't want to have to do more than once.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I suspect that an old (very old) pressure plate was used....the precision inspection is more important than a nice as-new cleaning and refacing the contact surface.
A "rebuilt" pressure plate - $100 ; a truly new one - $200 - rough numbers.

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
Does the new Sachs disk look like the old one... or did they source some second grade, third world part last time due to the backorder and send you that?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the new Sachs disk look like the old one... or did they source some second grade, third world part last time due to the backorder and send you that?
No...I just got it today...and the new one says Sachs on it..the old one does not. So...My guess is in a scramble they sent me out some 3rd world replacement the 1st time. I bought it from them because at the time it was considerably cheaper than anywhere else, even with shipping and I wasn't in a huge rush for it....never again...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great...Now to make this problem even worse....my clutch kit I got from rock auto apparently is wrong.

I got Sachs part # K7014202...everything looks right...but I was having the hardest time getting the transmission shaft to get seat. So...I took it all apart just to make sure I had the disc aligned up properly...and just out of curiosity...I tried to get the disc on the shaft...no go...the teeth are different....:evil::evil::evil:.

So now what...is this not the right clutch kit for my car?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would contact the company u got the first kit from and ask them about that disk. Then I would contact the manufacture of the disk.

Yes the flywheel has seen lots of heat and needs resurfaced or replaced.

Sachs is good but I'd use an exedy if u can get one.

What motor submodel is your car, I can tell u what's up with the clutch then.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would contact the company u got the first kit from and ask them about that disk. Then I would contact the manufacture of the disk.

Yes the flywheel has seen lots of heat and needs resurfaced or replaced.

Sachs is good but I'd use an exedy if u can get one.

What motor submodel is your car, I can tell u what's up with the clutch then.
It's a 2000 9-3 SE. It's the original transmission...I just got off the phone with RockAuto and they want me to send pics...but they are saying that's the correct part # for my car...so they think it might be a mispack or something...the pressure plate and flywheel are about 1/2" larger than the one that came off the car....

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I had a spring fall out on my viggen and what a cluster that was. Shifting was a joke. Replaced with stock parts, but I should have replaced the FW cause it chatters just a tad sometimes. I think this might be due to me shaving a few pounds off of it cause if I slip it, it's ok.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think they just sent me the wrong disc...I've been researching and all the pictures I've found for this part have the same tooth design as my old clutch. Pretty sure the pressure plate is correct....it is about 1/2" larger than my old clutch...so I'm thinking my original clutch was the one for the non SE model...which may be why it failed so soon...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
get your parts from thesaabsite.com they have never done me wrong. the 2 clutch discs look completely diff. diff spring size diff hub size and overall diff disc size. i would send it back demand a refund and order the correct clutch

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well...Sachs confirmed that they have the wrong disc packed in this clutch kit...pressure plate is correct, as is the slave...but wrong disc.

SO...Rockauto is going to issue me a full refund once I send it back and suggested I order it somewhere else..:eek:. At least they were cool about it....they had me on a 3 way call with Sachs and we were able to confirm. Even though it was the wrong part...it was the best customer service I've had in a while.

Anyway...I've found an Exedy clutch kit on Amazon...someone recommended it in an earlier post...anybody else ever use this brand? It's the OEM version...not the racing one...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts